I think the dealership destroyed my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For anyone that is interested, I have a way to remind myself to check the oil level after I do an oil change. I take the oil dipstick and clean thoroughly and lay it up on the windshield under the wiper blade. I also put a note under the wiper blade in bold letters. I have literally done thousands of oil changes over the years, my own and others in my shops. Never once have I had a problem and I always always always remove the old filter and immediately look and feel for the old seal.
Like @R32driver said, the oil change guy/girl are typically the low man on the totem pole and sometimes do things that show it.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They certainly aren't going to come out and tell you that they didn't put oil in it. Although if your instrument cluster wasn't telling you "low oil" or "low oil pressure" then maybe this theory isn't correct.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2022 Yukon Denali went into the dealership on Thursday for its first oil change and recall repairs. It was done All in the same day.
On the way home my husband was on the freeway and the car completely shut off, a warning popped up on the screen saying the car could not be in drive, and the car just coasted. It would not turn back on. My husband luckily made it safely to the side of the freeway where he called the dealership to ask what the heck did they do the car. It’s a brand new car that worked perfectly until they touched it. They said it wouldn’t be anything that they did. It got towed back to the dealership. Long story short…
They called us the next morning and said the engine seized and it needs a whole new engine.
What does this sound like happened to you guys? Also what would you do?
We are already speaking to GMC about the buyback program
um well hmm, looks like your new car is getting a new engine.
you get to start over from scratch.
no reason you need to do anything but wait for the keys to be handed back to you.
pretty cut and dry situation, even if they did or did not cause the problem it doesn't matter, you are covered.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and great advice. We think they didn’t put oil in as well. I’m worried a new engine will affect the value of the car down the road. Is that a thing? Also- the dealership is telling us that 2022’s have known engine problems and it is not their fault. So we are in a standstill right now
if anything a new engine is a benefit, i will gladly take a vehicle with a new engine any day, who wouldn't?
if you were looking at a used car with 90,000 miles on it and it now has a brand new motor in it, don't you think that's a good thing?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They certainly aren't going to come out and tell you that they didn't put oil in it. Although if your instrument cluster wasn't telling you "low oil" or "low oil pressure" then maybe this theory isn't correct.
You may be doing this and may have in this instance but you should always look at your gauges to see if looks normal. when start the engine. If it had no oil, I would think it would clatter loudly pretty quickly.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your case, I wouldn't point fingers or guess at what happened. Just let them replace the engine and get the warranty pushed out for your trouble.

Not likely that they forgot to fill it. You'd have had a low oil warning and a low oil pressure warning at a minimum. Same for the filter. Anything off about the oil would have set off a warning, with the possible exception of an overfill. Most oil changes are done through a hose with a gauge these days, sometimes with a preset amount. If it were overfilled and the crank whipped the oil into a froth, it could cavitate. Just speculation, but my daughter had that happen in the 90's on her Trans Am. Modern oils shouldn't do that, but you never know.

Sorry it happened to you, but at least you won't be stuck with a bill for an engine.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be doing this and may have in this instance but you should always look at your gauges to see if looks normal. when start the engine. If it had no oil, I would think it would clatter loudly pretty quickly.
I think it would too. In addition to visual oil pressure readings I believe these newer vehicles contain a "low oil" indicator as well. I've never seen it because I'm **** about everything automotive but there are plenty of safeties.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See this posting in attached pic.....it seems to be more common unfortunately. I'd go after by back or lemon if I were you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230225-163133_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230225-163133_Chrome.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore