I Need An Education On Window Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

So I made an appointment and my daughter took Sonoma Rose to get her windows tinted. I told the guy over the phone that I wanted it the same as my Yukon that they did, the maximum amount allowed by law. The paperwork for the Yukon says 30% up front and 20% in the rear, the regular ceramic. Well, Jaime comes home and it is not nearly as dark as mine and the paperwork says 30% for the front and 50% for the rear. I tried calling but the phone just rang, figured he was working on a car and hung up.

The windows from the factory are tinted and says 70% transparency for the front windows, 25% transparency for the rear side windows and 22% transparency for the back window.

For the front side windows, Florida law allows for, "a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range".

For the windows behind the driver, Florida law allows for, "a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 6 percent in the visible light range may be used on multipurpose passenger vehicles".

Found this little nugget in the statutes, "Every percentage measurement required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954 is subject to a tolerance of plus or minus 3 percent".

So, if the goal is get to 28% and the windows are already 70% from the factory, wouldn't they have applied 42% film on the front two windows?

And if that is right, wouldn't they have applied 19% and 16% film on the rears to get to 6%?

The photo of the red truck is before tinting. Let me run outside and take an after photo... Ok, third one is after with tint. What do you think?

View attachment 382670View attachment 382671View attachment 382672
I've had skin cancer three times, and I'm also a retired engineer. I purchased an instrument that measures UV-A. This is the portion of ultraviolet light that is believed to cause skin cancer. I tested every auto window tinting I could find. About a dozen. By far, the best window tinting was XPEL PRIME. I had 30% done on the front side windows, and 70% done on the windshield, and the other windows. When I would point my instrument at the sun, I got a reading of about 1400, through the normal factory windows the reading was about 800, after installing XPEL PRIME I measured 8-10. I live in Texas, never heard of anyone having legal difficulties about window tinting on their vehicles. I have no financial relationship with XPEL, other than being a customer.

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

So I made an appointment and my daughter took Sonoma Rose to get her windows tinted. I told the guy over the phone that I wanted it the same as my Yukon that they did, the maximum amount allowed by law. The paperwork for the Yukon says 30% up front and 20% in the rear, the regular ceramic. Well, Jaime comes home and it is not nearly as dark as mine and the paperwork says 30% for the front and 50% for the rear. I tried calling but the phone just rang, figured he was working on a car and hung up.

The windows from the factory are tinted and says 70% transparency for the front windows, 25% transparency for the rear side windows and 22% transparency for the back window.

For the front side windows, Florida law allows for, "a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range".

For the windows behind the driver, Florida law allows for, "a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 6 percent in the visible light range may be used on multipurpose passenger vehicles".

Found this little nugget in the statutes, "Every percentage measurement required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954 is subject to a tolerance of plus or minus 3 percent".

So, if the goal is get to 28% and the windows are already 70% from the factory, wouldn't they have applied 42% film on the front two windows?

And if that is right, wouldn't they have applied 19% and 16% film on the rears to get to 6%?

The photo of the red truck is before tinting. Let me run outside and take an after photo... Ok, third one is after with tint. What do you think?

All of your comparisons/calculations are related to Florida law. Dose this mean you will never drive in another jurisdiction that may have different specs? All it would take is a horse's ass l/e and you may get ticketed. Ck youtube - multiple stories there.
Hey Fellas,

You quote specs on Florida law. If you plan to drive elsewhere, you should ck for compliance. It only takes one horse's ass l/e to get a ticket. Best way to avoid problem is to have it actually checked with a meter - same as l/e/ will do.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah OP should probably cross reference all of the lower 48 states for compliance just in case he drives through their state at some point in his ownership of the vehicle...

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine getting a ticket for tinted windows if you are visiting another state and also your license plate is registered in another state.
Tinted window regulations is a state law, not Federal.
Agree - Most states will respect the laws of the state the vehicle is registered in. Just like some states require plates on the front and others do not.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine getting a ticket for tinted windows if you are visiting another state and also your license plate is registered in another state.
Tinted window regulations is a state law, not Federal.

Agree - Most states will respect the laws of the state the vehicle is registered in. Just like some states require plates on the front and others do not.

I'm in a rental for work cuz my van broke down again. I was about two hours away in Natchez, MS when it broke down. The Natchez Enterprise branch gave me a van registered in Missouri and the registration expired six months ago. I pulled out of Enterprise's lot and was immediately tailed and pulled over about a quarter mile later by what was obviously a rookie in training. He said his reason for pulling me over was that I didn't signal when turning. This is total BS because I signal even when making illegal maneuvers. It was a cheap shot for him to use to pull me over- his word against mine. I watched them approach in the mirror and saw his trainer point out the plate to him (I didn't know it was expired at the time). I was issued two citations- failure to signal and expired registration.

What Mississippi law(s) does an expired Missouri plate violate?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of your comparisons/calculations are related to Florida law. Dose this mean you will never drive in another jurisdiction that may have different specs?

Yeah OP should probably cross reference all of the lower 48 states for compliance just in case he drives through their state at some point in his ownership of the vehicle...

I don't care that much fellas. If I were to get a ticket in some other state, I reckon we'd pay the fine and leave the tint alone.

Now that seems like a worthy cause if only my eyeballs would cooperate!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had skin cancer three times, and I'm also a retired engineer. I purchased an instrument that measures UV-A. This is the portion of ultraviolet light that is believed to cause skin cancer. I tested every auto window tinting I could find. About a dozen. By far, the best window tinting was XPEL PRIME. I had 30% done on the front side windows, and 70% done on the windshield, and the other windows. When I would point my instrument at the sun, I got a reading of about 1400, through the normal factory windows the reading was about 800, after installing XPEL PRIME I measured 8-10. I live in Texas, never heard of anyone having legal difficulties about window tinting on their vehicles. I have no financial relationship with XPEL, other than being a customer.
My father is always getting it burned off. He was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale as I was, I reckon my days are coming too with regards to skin cancer. I was thinking about asking the guy about the clear ceramic stuff that blocks UV rays for the windshield but forgot to ask. I'll have to revisit this!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, put another layer of 50% on top of that. No, it's not 50% + 50% = 100% (completely opaque glass). You're reducing that available 50% of light by half, meaning "half of half". So, you're now at 25% available light (VLT).

Now if you had just me that the first time, this thread would have been over and done with! LOL

(( If I wanted tint, I ask the local Sheriff's office who tints their cars.... That's the place to use.
That's what we did, maybe that's why he said I'll never have a problem!

Reaction score
I'm in a rental for work cuz my van broke down again. I was about two hours away in Natchez, MS when it broke down. The Natchez Enterprise branch gave me a van registered in Missouri and the registration expired six months ago. I pulled out of Enterprise's lot and was immediately tailed and pulled over about a quarter mile later by what was obviously a rookie in training. He said his reason for pulling me over was that I didn't signal when turning. This is total BS because I signal even when making illegal maneuvers. It was a cheap shot for him to use to pull me over- his word against mine. I watched them approach in the mirror and saw his trainer point out the plate to him (I didn't know it was expired at the time). I was issued two citations- failure to signal and expired registration.

A non registered vehicle?

It has no valid registration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14