I know it's been ask b4 but can't find it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine is about 403 HP from the factory... 2.5" Y-pipe is good for 463 HP... unless you are doing some serious upgrades you won't gain 60+ HP from intake, exhaust, and a tune.

Friend of mine has a 6.0 Express van, after intake, full exhaust with headers, cam and tune gained 70+ HP

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a 6.0 Express van, after intake, full exhaust with headers, cam and tune gained 70+ HP

Correct... with a cam... unless he is going into the engine he will not see a 60+ HP increase with just intake, exhaust, and tune.

The OP said he was looking at the easy stuff first and started asking about tunes and intake and then asked about the Y-pipe.

I was merely pointing out that unless he installs a cam or goes FI the factory Y-pipe is more than sufficient... it is not a restriction as he describes on the F250... which I am not familiar with.

In all honesty, I'm not sure of the diameter of the Y-pipe on the 6.2L

The 5.3L Y-pipe is roughly 2.5" pipe... I say roughly because it flattens out under the transmission pan and appears, at least, to be a bigger diameter.

The 6.2L may in fact run a bigger diameter Y-pipe. It wouldn't surprise me considering they enlarged the tail pipe to 3.5" compared to the 5.3L 2.75"-3" tail pipe.

IF it does have a larger Y-pipe than the 5.3L then it would obviously accommodate more HP than the 2.5" Y-pipe on the 5.3L.

Last edited:

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct... with a cam... unless he is going into the engine he will not see a 60+ HP increase with just intake, exhaust, and tune.

The OP said he was looking at the easy stuff first and started asking about tunes and intake and then asked about the Y-pipe.

I was merely pointing out that unless he installs a cam or goes FI the factory Y-pipe is more than sufficient... it is not a restriction as he describes on the F250... which I am not familiar with.

In all honesty, I'm not sure of the diameter of the Y-pipe on the 6.2L

The 5.3L Y-pipe is roughly 2.5" pipe... I say roughly because it flattens out under the transmission pan and appears, at least, to be a bigger diameter.

The 6.2L may in fact run a bigger diameter Y-pipe. It wouldn't surprise me considering they enlarged the tail pipe to 3.5" compared to the 5.3L 2.75"-3" tail pipe.

IF it does have a larger Y-pipe than the 5.3L then it would obviously accommodate more HP than the 2.5" Y-pipe on the 5.3L.

misunderstood, sorry :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26