I could really use some help - New shocks/springs/level.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad i read this thread before i went took the front end apart...

So let me get this straight, i have a 2.5 top mount on factory equipment and after reading in here i will be too high if i swap out to the 5100s on lowest (0 lift) setting with new 81244 moog springs ?

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
@The_Burban @Drok - I'll copy this over from my other thread.

Summary/Notes of suspension parts I upgraded:
  1. Front shocks and springs
    - Shocks replaced with Bilstein 5100's (24-186940) Amazon $95.07 each
    - Set to the second notch
    - Springs replaced with Moog 81244 'Heavy Duty' springs - Amazon $79.78 pair
    - Top hat nut was a PITA but doable without a special tool
    - Used the normal spring compressor rental tool from Autozone (use an impact wrench to tighten/loosen)
    - Raised the Tahoe about 1"+
  2. Rear shocks and springs
    - Shocks replaced with Bilstein 5100's (24-187237) Amazon $66.32 each
    - Very easy to replace the rear shocks, find a good YouTube video to follow.
    - Instead of dropping the whole rear axle, I used the same spring compressor to compress the spring, take it out, compress new spring, put it in. It was actually very easy.
    - Only needed 2 spring insulators (not 8!) for the bottom of each rear spring. Moog K160072 - Amazon $7.97 each
  3. Front Lower Ball Joints
    - Moog K500007 - Amazon $26.41 each
    - Used ball joint remover rental tool from Autozone. Pretty straight forward.
    - BE SURE to point the grease nipple forward. Forgot to do this on the left side and had to take everything apart to pump grease into it.
    - Write down the order of operations. The left side took me 3 times as long as the right side.
    - Rented Axel Nut socket 36mm from O'Reillys. Found out you just can buy one at Home Depot for like $6.
    - Add a little bit of anti-seize to axel teeth before putting it back into the hub.
  4. Upper Control Arms
    - Rough Country Forged UCA 19401 - $249
    - Ordered the wrong ones the first time around. Be sure to check your UCA with a magnet to see if you have steel or aluminum. Magnet sticks = Steel. Choose the correct option from their website.
    - Ended up needing new camber plates and bolt for one side of one control arm. Be sure you have these lined up somewhere before hand. Got mine from O'Reillys for $35 (SPC brand)
  5. Leveling Parts
    - Purchased but have not installed RoughCountry 2" front leveling kit (1307) Amazon $54.08- going to install once I get new tires in a couple months.
    - Purchased but have not installed Belltech 35323 Spring Distance Kit (1") Amazon $36.32 - going to install once I get new tires.
  6. Undercar front shield
    - Amazon knockoff for OE: 22781371 - $20.36
    - Quality was great
    - Took 3 minutes to replace

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@The_Burban @Drok - I'll copy this over from my other thread.

Summary/Notes of suspension parts I upgraded:
  1. Front shocks and springs
    - Shocks replaced with Bilstein 5100's (24-186940) Amazon $95.07 each
    - Set to the second notch
    - Springs replaced with Moog 81244 'Heavy Duty' springs - Amazon $79.78 pair
    - Top hat nut was a PITA but doable without a special tool
    - Used the normal spring compressor rental tool from Autozone (use an impact wrench to tighten/loosen)
    - Raised the Tahoe about 1"+
  2. Rear shocks and springs
    - Shocks replaced with Bilstein 5100's (24-187237) Amazon $66.32 each
    - Very easy to replace the rear shocks, find a good YouTube video to follow.
    - Instead of dropping the whole rear axle, I used the same spring compressor to compress the spring, take it out, compress new spring, put it in. It was actually very easy.
    - Only needed 2 spring insulators (not 8!) for the bottom of each rear spring. Moog K160072 - Amazon $7.97 each
  3. Front Lower Ball Joints
    - Moog K500007 - Amazon $26.41 each
    - Used ball joint remover rental tool from Autozone. Pretty straight forward.
    - BE SURE to point the grease nipple forward. Forgot to do this on the left side and had to take everything apart to pump grease into it.
    - Write down the order of operations. The left side took me 3 times as long as the right side.
    - Rented Axel Nut socket 36mm from O'Reillys. Found out you just can buy one at Home Depot for like $6.
    - Add a little bit of anti-seize to axel teeth before putting it back into the hub.
  4. Upper Control Arms
    - Rough Country Forged UCA 19401 - $249
    - Ordered the wrong ones the first time around. Be sure to check your UCA with a magnet to see if you have steel or aluminum. Magnet sticks = Steel. Choose the correct option from their website.
    - Ended up needing new camber plates and bolt for one side of one control arm. Be sure you have these lined up somewhere before hand. Got mine from O'Reillys for $35 (SPC brand)
  5. Leveling Parts
    - Purchased but have not installed RoughCountry 2" front leveling kit (1307) Amazon $54.08- going to install once I get new tires in a couple months.
    - Purchased but have not installed Belltech 35323 Spring Distance Kit (1") Amazon $36.32 - going to install once I get new tires.
  6. Undercar front shield
    - Amazon knockoff for OE: 22781371 - $20.36
    - Quality was great
    - Took 3 minutes to replace
Super. Thanks. I see my wife has placed an Amazon order which had the Moog front springs in it. I guess that means spend another $500 and do it all.

Even with loft up front you will be using a leveling spacer??

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Super. Thanks. I see my wife has placed an Amazon order which had the Moog front springs in it. I guess that means spend another $500 and do it all.

Even with loft up front you will be using a leveling spacer??

Most likely. I am going to get some other opinions to make sure the CV angles are safe, but it will only be around 3" total lift in the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic