I’m back with an Esky this time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, don’t even think twice about hijack or sympathy. This is not my personal book. This is just sharing what I enjoy doing and any and all comments are welcome here. We are all here because of our passion for vehicles but we are all human beings too. You have no idea how grateful I am that you were willing to jump in and share that. I felt like I kinda put myself out there sharing my personal life that wasn’t about nuts and bolts and you made me feel like it’s ok to have screwed up personal issues. We all do at times. So thanks for that. I won’t make it a common thing though. Hopefully!!
Anyway, happy 12th birthday to your daughter and I know what you mean about the best thing to happen to you. Thanks again brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, I’m glad it helped you a little. And thanks for the birthday wishes!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...we are all human beings too." "...I felt like I kinda put myself out there sharing my personal life that wasn’t about nuts and bolts and you made me feel like it’s ok to have screwed up personal issues. We all do at times."

My girfriend is an advocate for a few things, primarily arthritis awareness and education and is a Committee member of the Arthritis Foundation.

With all the depression and suicides that's happening around us locally, even within our personal circles, she's joining a few more movements/groups such as "Break the Silence", "Staying Alive is Not Enough" and "You Are Not Alone".

I'm mentioning this because your post nailed one of the greatest points that these groups are trying to get across: breaking the stigmas of shame that keep such issues hidden and, ultimately, unattended to which often just leads to their escalation. Yes, we all have issues of varying degrees and it's always okay to speak up.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one hits hard for me too. Suicide is one of the most frustrating things someone can do, and it's worse knowing you will never know why they did it. You will never know if you could have changed something to prevent it from happening. I've lost 3 extremely close friends that none left a note, and left no warnings they were even in a suicidal state. And a few years back, my uncle blew his head off in bed next to what was going to be his soon to be ex. He told my Dad the day prior to doing it that he could not stand to go through a 4th divorce. He didn't say he was gonna end it to my Dad, but he did, and we both are still ****** up over it. All we can do is move on, and try and help others from making the same decision to do suicide.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the sincerity and kind words. It means a lot.
Dan always talked about suicide. I’ve told him to call me when it crossed his mind. Or at least call someone. But he told me that when your contemplating killing yourself, the last thing you want is for someone to try to talk you out of it. But he’s always told me that he wouldn’t do it while his mom was still alive. She is the one who had to identify him. Just a tragic situation.
I seen this post on Facebook from him the day before he did it, but he wouldn’t pick up his phone or return my call.
a6adaa2a605cf5e1c592317987cc6d0f.jpg

He waited for his mom to go to Walmart which is like 25 minutes from his house. He drove his truck down the road away from his house and pulled over and called 911. Told them he was gonna kill himself and gave them his location then hung up. Sat on the side of the road next to his right front tire and took a shotgun to his head. His poor mom was driving home and seen the road block and told the officer she lived right down the street. He asked for ID and then seen it was same address as Dan’s ID. That’s when they told her and had her identify him as her son. That’s ****** up and I’m pissed that he let it happen that way. Suicide is such a selfish act. All it does is pass the persons problems on to others.

We’ve taken on my other buddy’s dog. It’s a little frenchy named Lenny. My daughter has really taken a liking to him. His wife doesn’t feel safe at her house so she’s staying with her parents and I think she talked them into letting the dog come too. So Julianna is gonna have to let go of her new friend in the next day or two.
61389dfcce1745e982dab1f1050afe4e.jpg

My heart goes out to you brother. I lost my 18 year old son who just graduated HS and enrolled in a JC a few weeks ago. Symptoms of autism caused him to literally have God call him back home. Nothing else makes sense unless I stick to my faith.

Stick close to the pets, they have amazing healing power. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Always remember those that you’ve lost want you to know they’re safe, happy and healthy after they pass through heaven’s gates. They’d want us to love and take care of the ones they love too. Godspeed to your friend and my son Drake with his bud Augie.

0a58f331dbc9ffce0c50ee0427a755a7.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My heart goes out to you brother. I lost my 18 year old son who just graduated HS and enrolled in a JC a few weeks ago. Symptoms of autism caused him to literally have God call him back home. Nothing else makes sense unless I stick to my faith.

Stick close to the pets, they have amazing healing power. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Always remember those that you’ve lost want you to know they’re safe, happy and healthy after they pass through heaven’s gates. They’d want us to love and take care of the ones they love too. Godspeed to your friend and my son Drake with his bud Augie.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. No parent should ever have to bury their child. I'm a father of 3, and I hope I never--EVER have to go through what you and your loved ones are going through at this terrible time. God bless you.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Good Lord I apologize for dropping in on your thread like that. Obviously, I’m not using the sensitivity I would expect of my own loss from being in shell shock myself. Your news hit home. Thank you for sharing because it made a difference to me in understanding the randomness of a loss and the importance of family, friends and loved ones.

All the best ... Michael

Pain@thepump

Reaction score
Out of habit I read threads like a japanese magazine, backwards, from end to the beginning. I appreciate what it took to get there, I like seeing what we endure to make the clock tick w/out skipping a beat. I must say in the last 3pgs, All you men have made me tear up at my computer on a Sunday morning. My heart and prayers will goes out to you all. We just buried a brotha two weeks ago as well.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score

Michael, I’m seriously at a loss. My heart is broken for you. You don’t ever apologize for commenting on any threads or posts, especially mine. What I have going on is a carnival ride compared to the emotional roll coaster thru hell your experiencing. Don’t try and bury it, keep the memories alive. My close co-worker had to deal with the same situation. His son died on a crotch rocket being stupid. You wanna talk about the stages of grief. They say 7, I think Jamie and his wife and their daughter went thru 30. Shock and denial, pain and guilt, anger and bargaining, depression, reflection and loneliness, the upward turn, reconstruction and working thru, acceptance and hope. You go up and down and back around more than a few times with that list. I spent a lot of time talking, crying and laughing with him while he went thru it. I’m so sorry this happened. If I can ever help with anything, just say it. God bless Drake, you and your family. I just wanna say stay strong but I don’t know if I could. I’m adding him and your family to my kids prayers from here on out. Godspeed brother.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to catch a break.
Cold has come in about a month early. Actually snowed today. This past Saturday I decided I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and fire up the garage heater. I think I have a very small leak at the gas shut off valve near the heater. Last couple years I have been closing the valve at the house and near the heater. And when I do that, it takes forever to bleed the line before I can fire the pilot. Last year, I took the flex line off the gas valve and opened it until I had gas at the line. This year I decided to turn on the heater and let it cycle a few times instead of taking off the line. Well, I cycled it. The gas valve opened but no pilot so it didn’t fire and then shut down because flame sensor. Cycled and then tried again, this time I could smell the gas so I knew it was purged. I turned the furnace off and turned the pilot valve on. I didn’t want to light pilot right away because I figured there was still gas present. So what I did was turn furnace on with fan on to clear the gas. And this is where I made a bad assumption. Figured I had plenty of time to light pilot before gas valve kicked on. Long reach lighter wouldn’t fire off right away. I’m holding the pilot button in and clicking the lighter up by the pilot tube when gas valve turned on and BAM! Furnace erupted into a ball of flames. I’m in the corner of the garage against the wall with my face next to the hanging heater when this happened. Thank god I had a hat on or else I’d probably be bald. My left eye, which is already not great, 40% vision in it after a piece of an air chisel shot thru it bullseye back in 2000, took the brunt of the fire impact. Melted my eyelashes to my eyeball. Lost half my eyebrows and also eyelashes on right eye. I had to scrub my eyeball with a q-tip to get lashes out. Burnt my eye a little too. Didn’t sleep that night due to discomfort of the feeling of sand in your eye times 100. Sunday I couldn’t even open it. By Monday I could open it but not for long. Yesterday was definitely better and today I’ve kept it open all day as long as there was no air moving, it dries out really fast. Been dousing with drops and I think the worst is behind me now. Pics are from yesterday.
3da289a93af827056a2375611f65f099.jpg

18d87ec364090bb8e531c154f2003b92.jpg

5f3e6524c5948bf189fb3c25dec7e4f8.jpg