Hydroboost, Replace or Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenTahoeZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am about to replace my power steering pump and lines. My hydroboost brake booster is leaking at several spots. My pedal is also spongy.
I ran across a couple of videos on YouTube of dudes rebuilding their hydroboosts instead of replacing them.
Does anyone have experience or recommendations on this.

I'm leaning towards rebuild as it fits my budget better right now.

I found this kit on Amazon. I am going to dig a little more and see if there is any internal parts i need outside of the seal kit.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you have the overhaul manual for hydroboost. It is the Brakes and steering after all.
Many large cities have a Brakes only warehouse/shop that would be my choice for hydroboost overhaul, and many times it is the best choice as they can stainless sleeve components as necessary. Not to mention giving them work so they don't go away.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to replace my power steering pump and lines. My hydroboost brake booster is leaking at several spots. My pedal is also spongy.
I ran across a couple of videos on YouTube of dudes rebuilding their hydroboosts instead of replacing them.
Does anyone have experience or recommendations on this.

I'm leaning towards rebuild as it fits my budget better right now.

I found this kit on Amazon. I am going to dig a little more and see if there is any internal parts i need outside of the seal kit.

I'm all for rebuilding my own stuff but my caveat here would be to not use that kit. I would use GM only or a name brand like Raybestos, an OE supplier. Bendix made the hydroboost unit for my Oldsmobile. The Chicoms are flooding the market with cheap parts that don't work.

If you cannot find the proper seal kit, just buy a new OE unit.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to brakes, I will do the diagnosis and replacement of parts but I WONT rebuild components.(Calipers, Master Cylinders, Hydroboost, etc.) Just not worth my time and I am not certified to be doing that kind of work so I dont "practice" on my own vehicle when it comes to safety equipment like that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to brakes, I will do the diagnosis and replacement of parts but I WONT rebuild components.(Calipers, Master Cylinders, Hydroboost, etc.) Just not worth my time and I am not certified to be doing that kind of work so I dont "practice" on my own vehicle when it comes to safety equipment like that.
Calipers even? They are easy peasy to rebuild, we even rebuilt the aluminum rears with a kit for the front, 2 years and 20K miles ago, still going strong.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calipers even? They are easy peasy to rebuild, we even rebuilt the aluminum rears with a kit for the front, 2 years and 20K miles ago, still going strong.
Nope. Just not worth my time or effort. I can be working on things that make more than enough money to pay for a rebuilt caliper. Throw the reman caliper on, bleed with the tech 2 and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011