Hydraulic'd engine - bent valve or bent conn rod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right guys, been a few days but I finally got back to the truck. Got the motor out this morning and started pulling it apart. Flex plate is good. Confirmed bent rod, sitting about .075" lower in the bore than the other 7. Ignore the silicon around the intake ports - I know LS gaskets don't require it, it was a temporary measure. My gaskets were flat and I had forgotten I used my spare set on another vehicle.

Called around some machine shops yesterday to get a preliminary idea - see if the timeline would be feasible. The answer to that was no, but one at a reputable machine shop said, "but actually, I've got one sitting on the shelf. Guy was going to put it in his international scout, ended up getting divorced and didn't have the money for the bill. I told him don't worry about it, I'll find someone wants the motor. It's complete oil pan to intake. We went all the way thru it. Bored, decked, line bored, 3 angle valve job, new crank, balanced the rotating assembly, arp studs, the whole 9. Yours if you want it."

In short, I'll be picking that up tomorrow for less than what the reman short block costs.

Oh, and here's a shot of my "cherry picker". Y'all working without a level shop floor, here's the ticket.

20230420_132528.jpg
20230420_142121.jpg
IMG_20230420_144402_01.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Can't have too many engines laying around. I hope you get all the documentation for the claims of the work on that engine. If it isn't documented, it didn't happen....a lawyer told me once.

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True there!

It's all documented, but there's no recourse - seller has not responded to any of my messages about being simply compensated for the bad injectors. This one will go down under "Lessons, Bought and Paid For" unfortunately.

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last update - she's in and running. Went ahead and did the TBSS intake with a 92mm throttle body while I had it apart again. Still some tuning to do, but I'm very happy.

Did have a heart attack moment when I first started it. Only read 25# of oil pressure. I had replaced the sending unit, broke the original getting the motor back in. Pulled the one off the Tahoe and stuck it in, showed 55psi. Whoo!

Motor is happy so far.

20230424_104947.jpg
b05aa455-c986-49da-a865-7103be36a2c9photo.jpeg

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great score on the engine! Sucks for the bent rod on the old engine....rebuildable core? Get nutz and bore it to a 5.7L LS1 then stick a hot cam in it and find a Esky with a blown engine! Hmmmmm...scouring the net now. :p

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, good core. Already a 6.0, so it'll become a 6.6l (408) stroker down the road.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the engine hoist trailer rig! It has a giant drain pan built-in already!

You may be humble on what you have for shop and equipment set-up, but I'll tell you I am green with envy!!
A welder AND a roof overhead? My idea of heaven...

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell you, both welder and roof are complete game changers. Especially the welder - well worth the $175 or so to get started. Pays back 100 times over.

The garage belongs to my folks. I do a lot of maintenance for them and get free use in return. Filled a giant hole that was left when I left doing full time mechanic work. Recently asked me about pouring concrete.... Said he'd buy the materials if I'd do the work. Time to brush up on concrete skills!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts