Hydraulic brakeline question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spanrd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2002 yukon denali. Because of the age of the vehicle, i want to replace the brakeline. I purchased the dorman brand, but when i spoke to my mechanic, he said it's best not to use that brand, as it's chinese junk.

I'm looking at rock auto, and they only offer 2 brands. Dorman, and AGS, whom i've never heard of. Do any of you have an experience installing these brakelines, and if so, how have they held up?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you find oem on line? Lots of folks use Dorman stuff with no issues but I can’t speak to brake lines. There are several aftermarket brands stronger than oem but it may be overkill. @915_Tahoe can find oem with the last 8 of your vin.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dorman definitely has a hit or miss reputation, that’s for sure. That being said, I think they are the only ones that are currently offering preformed lines for your vehicle. I believe the AGS kit is just a coil of “flexible” brake line that is pre-flared and you can pull through and form as needed.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many years back I purchased some Napa brake lines in various lengths for the rear brakes, bent and installed them, Cutting and flaring only one new line and one old. The Flares cracked one by one until I replaced all the new lines again. Bad heat treating of lines.
So really it is luck of the draw on lot numbers of your purchase.
Now I buy USA made rolls, do all my own flares.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many years back I purchased some Napa brake lines in various lengths for the rear brakes, bent and installed them, Cutting and flaring only one new line and one old. The Flares cracked one by one until I replaced all the new lines again. Bad heat treating of lines.
So really it is luck of the draw on lot numbers of your purchase.
Now I buy USA made rolls, do all my own flares.
I had to do a similar job on my 1976 Impala in the parking lot outside my dorm room in college back almost 30 years ago. I bought various lengths of pre-flared brake line and tube bender from the Jocko's across the street from campus. Took the old line that ran from the front to the rear out, laid it on the pavement and proceeded to duplicate it bend by bend while mixing and matching lengths of brake line sections. Never had an issue with my workmanship and still have the $5.00 tube bender in my toolbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snackcake01