Hybrid trans replacement-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an epiphany while watching this video last night, its of a 2ML70 tear down. Its in spanish, so no idea what they are saying.

And the time markers from 4:10 to 4:50

I realized the final drive is sectioned, and is removeable, and that output shaft goes with it.
The final drive appears to be mechanical only, without any electrification.
So you could effectively buy a cheaper 2wd tranny, swap over that final drive section from your 4x4, and your done.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes some extra effort to locate and post info like this. Thank you Toll Keeper. Very interesting. I only have 261k miles on my 2009 so should not have to worry about this anytime soon (yeah right hahah) There are several good articles around the internet about the 2ML70 transmission. Personally I would not hesitate to swap in a 150k 2ML70 if the fluid looked and smelled good. They are HD and should easily go 100's of thousands of miles if properly maintained.

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have a 2009 Yukon hybrid 4x4. She has 235k miles and the transmission seems to have given up. I put a newer motor in about 20k miles ago, as the lifters chewed up and trashed the motor. But I figured it lived a good life!

Anyhow, was driving a couple weeks back and got a few really hard chugs- not the typical lurches- but violent banging chugs. We were on the highway so I tried to maintain speed but ended up getting into some traffic, and as the truck shifted into 3rd, it wouldn’t go back to 4th, then got to 2nd and wouldn’t go up to 3rd… etc. when I finally got home, she went into park and there is no more movement. No gears or modes work.

That being said, tracking down the 09 version for 4x4 seems to be next to impossible. I see several of the 10-13 trans available but I am unaware of what would need to be done to make that newer model work in my 09… if anything? Does anyone know what’s actually different and can it be done?

Thank you all for your help- I appreciate it!
this $3600 for a remanufactured one Core is 3,000$ VIN confirm before buying

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3600 does not sound that bad to me. I would probably research my local transmission shops first though just to see if they might be able to do a rebuild on mine and of course the cost before I ordered one.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s going to be a long time before you can go to shops or independents for work on high voltage components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons