Hybrid Tahoe Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM Two Mode vehicles are obsolete. Total of only around 33,000 produced Yukon/Escalade and Tahoe 2007 through 2013 model years. In the next 5 to 10 years parts will be nearly impossible to source. Maybe the next Democrat president will resurrect the Obama "Cash for Clunkers" program so that we can rid ourselves of this vehicle plague.................... haha I am just kidding I would not take 15k for my old worn out **. She is my favorite truck of all time. Reminds me of the news story about the lady that had an older sick cat, turns out that the cat had Luekemia and she spent $25,000.00 on vet treatments. IT STILL DIED!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM Two Mode vehicles are obsolete. Total of only around 33,000 produced Yukon/Escalade and Tahoe 2007 through 2013 model years. In the next 5 to 10 years parts will be nearly impossible to source. Maybe the next Democrat president will resurrect the Obama "Cash for Clunkers" program so that we can rid ourselves of this vehicle plague.................... haha I am just kidding I would not take 15k for my old worn out **. She is my favorite truck of all time. Reminds me of the news story about the lady that had an older sick cat, turns out that the cat had Luekemia and she spent $25,000.00 on vet treatments. IT STILL DIED!
the easiest part to find will be the battery pack. because it uses the same cells as the prius can swap directly from the prius battery so it will be easy to rebuild it for a 1000$

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery technology is fascinating. I just ordered a replacement with "supposedly" new modules and have my old one out and on the work bench doing some testing. Bought this sweet Turnigy Reaktor balance charger currently on #7 of 40 modules so no definitive results just yet.
It takes about 5 hours for the balance charger to complete 2 dischareg / charge cycles so might be a couple weeks before I complete my research. Just wish I had brand new battery to compare my results to.......the metal case on the replacement hybrid battery pack has case seals and if I break them to test modules, my wararnty is voided. Dang It maybe I can start a gofund me page and get up the $2,789.00 to cover the cost and then I can bust off the seals and test without remorse.IMG_7367.jpg

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery technology is fascinating. I just ordered a replacement with "supposedly" new modules and have my old one out and on the work bench doing some testing. Bought this sweet Turnigy Reaktor balance charger currently on #7 of 40 modules so no definitive results just yet.
It takes about 5 hours for the balance charger to complete 2 dischareg / charge cycles so might be a couple weeks before I complete my research. Just wish I had brand new battery to compare my results to.......the metal case on the replacement hybrid battery pack has case seals and if I break them to test modules, my warranty is voided. Dang It maybe I can start a gofund me page and get up the $2,789.00 to cover the cost and then I can bust off the seals and test without remorse.View attachment 217183
I have seen a used one on ebay the seller claimed 60,000 miles for 750$ i'd would offer him less maybe 450..

www.ebay.com/itm/183687525059

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost done with testing the modules in my old battery. 36 out of 40 done, overall average so far is around 20% capacity (1,300 aMH) of what a new battery is rated at (6500 aMH). I am really itching to pull the top off the New battery pack and test a couple of modules to see if they are in fact NEW LOL
Apparently the GM battery management system is very ******* these modules. If you buy a used pack even at low mileage it will probably have all toasted modules. Toyota Prius systems are supposed to be much more gentle on the batteries but they only hold 28 modules and you would have to buy 2 packs. Most of the used battery sellers like GreenBean are rebuilding these GM packs with old Prius modules, knowing that the GM battery management will not throw a code until the old used batteries are toasted to basically zilch so they will rarely have to warranty the product and the poor owner just drags around with a crappy battery in their ride for years. After doing research it appears to be a big scam, they are charging people 3k for a battery pack with used modules! Just my opinion, maybe they are in fact angels here to save all us GM Two Mode Hybrid owners LOL

Attachments

• 2009 Tahoe.pdf
    81.7 KB · Views: 4

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost done with testing the modules in my old battery. 36 out of 40 done, overall average so far is around 20% capacity (1,300 aMH) of what a new battery is rated at (6500 aMH). I am really itching to pull the top off the New battery pack and test a couple of modules to see if they are in fact NEW LOL
Apparently the GM battery management system is very ******* these modules. If you buy a used pack even at low mileage it will probably have all toasted modules. Toyota Prius systems are supposed to be much more gentle on the batteries but they only hold 28 modules and you would have to buy 2 packs. Most of the used battery sellers like GreenBean are rebuilding these GM packs with old Prius modules, knowing that the GM battery management will not throw a code until the old used batteries are toasted to basically zilch so they will rarely have to warranty the product and the poor owner just drags around with a crappy battery in their ride for years. After doing research it appears to be a big scam, they are charging people 3k for a battery pack with used modules! Just my opinion, maybe they are in fact angels here to save all us GM Two Mode Hybrid owners LOL
there is some better modules out there with lower ESR (Equivalent series resistance) ratings

2k1Toaster on Prius chat.. it's 2800 for new custom made 20 modules.(40 module equivalent )

i wonder if anyone has figured out a way to use several battery packs in parallel. maybe even capacitors in parallel to smooth out the ripple and peak discharge current upon moving.. you would need about 110 2.8-3.0volt super captors
or if you want the 3v ones it 7700$ not including anything else
$5400 for Prebuilt module... 144x2.7v modules

I wonder if it would be possible to convert it directly to capacitors and do away with the battery pack it self.. since they can discharge and charge much faster the only issue I see is keeping a float charge but that can be solved with using flexible solar panels on the body.

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skimmed thru, but just an fyi for future use.... the hybrid uses a different operating system than normal, I saw where someone pulled the tune with hpt but most of the tables werent populated or even available. Afaik, there is no way to modify the stock tune with hptuners/efilive, I doubt a dealer is going to custom tune for a different engine. So the only engine that can be put back in it is another from a 6.0 hybrid, no deleted dod/vvt, different displacement, etc

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skimmed thru, but just an fyi for future use.... the hybrid uses a different operating system than normal, I saw where someone pulled the tune with hpt but most of the tables werent populated or even available. Afaik, there is no way to modify the stock tune with hptuners/efilive, I doubt a dealer is going to custom tune for a different engine. So the only engine that can be put back in it is another from a 6.0 hybrid, no deleted dod/vvt, different displacement, etc
it can be converted back to a reg tahoe

but you will need a BCM and ECM as well as the engine and transmission...
that will convert it back..

the 2 mode is just a drop universal in replacement..

you can drop in a Hemi V8 if that is your cup of tea

5.7 L (345 cu in) Hemi V8 from a Chrysler Aspen

• 2009 Hybrid - 5.7 L (345 cu in) Hemi V8, 399 hp (298 kW) at 5200 rpm and 390 lb⋅ft (529 N⋅m)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401