Hybrid MPG thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
:think:

Auto mode is always in 2wd unless it detects traction loss isn't it?

That's what I though too but I got 19.8 on the highway also in auto. But for giggles I put it in 2wd and mpg bumped up to 21.5ish!
I think there is some parasitic loss in the transfer case during auto mode.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting ... I've never even considered putting it in 2wd, but I'll try it and see the difference. I learn something every day. Thanks. :waytogo:

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Btw, I wonder if having it on 'auto' would help with traction in an emergency maneuver/accident avoidance? :think:

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
It probably does help with traction but if its dry and clear, I usually leave it in 2wd. The front is heavy enough that it should maneuver pretty good on dry pavement.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're probably right ... I guess the formula is:

Dry pavement: 2wd
Rain: Auto
Snow/ice: 4wd

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious...were you in 2wd or auto mode?

My tahoe is a 2wd model.

I wonder if I was going into a headwind or maybe there is a slight uphill grade going from Orange County to San Jose? Seemed very difficult to stay in 4 cylinder mode. But maybe once you hit 75 mph, drag is too great to overcome with only half of the cylinders.

I'll see what happens on my return trip home tomorrow.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, for me the only way to stay 4 cyl mode for a relatively long time is flat ground at around 65mph ... in the end I stopped trying. I figured I save enough gas driving a hybrid, I'm not gonna obsess over 4cyl mode.

At the end of the day you gotta drive like you gotta drive ... the whole point of the hyhoe is to save gas/money under normal driving conditions. If it becomes a priority then you probably picked the wrong vehicle. :)

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^It's just more of a little game for me and a challenge to figure out what is the best way to drive the truck.

So far I'm finding it hard to figure out the AFM. Today I was able to climb some grades in V4 mode at 70 mph. Go figure.

I'd love to supercharge my hybrid but I doubt the tranny can handle that. Plus I don't want to void the hybrid warranty.

How about a turbodiesel Tahoe? I'd go for that!

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After about 900 miles:

MPG was 20.9 so my return trip was probably somewhere close to 22 mpg. Speeds of mostly 70-75 mph but also includes nearly 2 hours of crawling traffic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99

Latest posts