HVAC issue: no heat unless set at 90 degrees 07-14 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Tahoe LTZ. I have no heat unless I set it to 90 on the HVAC control unit. I've narrowed it to a bad cabin Air Temperature Sensor. Some people refer to it as the aspirator but on gm sites, its called a cabin Air Temperature Sensor.

Anyone know the precise location of this sensor? Headliner driver side? instrument cluster area?

In older tahoe model years, there is a plastic circular grill located on the headliner, driver side that makes the sensor easy to find and its referred to as an aspirator. Threads and videos on those older model year issues (99-06) are fairly easy to find. Not for the 07-14 Tahoes, I see ZERO videos on youtube related to this issue. I should add, no such plastic vent exists on my headliner.

I want to mention - rock auto shows two types. The boxy style and a pin / push pin style. Their push pin version has a detail of "Instrument Panel Air Duct Temperature Sensor; " So naturally, that makes me think its near the instrument panel.

TIA

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Tahoe LTZ. I have no heat unless I set it to 90 on the HVAC control unit. I've narrowed it to a bad cabin Air Temperature Sensor. Some people refer to it as the aspirator but on gm sites, its called a cabin Air Temperature Sensor.

Anyone know the precise location? The driver side? Passenger side? Near the visors, or further back?

In older tahoe model years, there is a plastic circular grill located on the headliner, driver side that makes the sensor easy to find and its referred to as an aspirator. Threads and videos on those older model year issues are fairly easy to find. Not for the 07-14 Tahoes. no such plastic trim exists on the headliner.

I want to mention - rock auto shows two types. The boxy style and a pin / push pin style. Their push pin version has a detail of "Instrument Panel Air Duct Temperature Sensor; " So naturally, that makes me think its near the instrument panel.

TIA
Well, an LTZ Tahoe ought to have 1 or 2 of those little vents right above the driver's head and to the side of the moonroof. 2 if the engine is an L9H.

1650001558990.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyone know the precise location? The driver side? Passenger side? Near the visors, or further back?

In older tahoe model years, there is a plastic circular grill located on the headliner, driver side that makes the sensor easy to find and its referred to as an aspirator. Threads and videos on those older model year issues are fairly easy to find. Not for the 07-14 Tahoes. no such plastic trim exists on the headliner.

TIA
first question is did this problem just happen all on it's own or did you change the main hvac control panel out?
the reason I ask is because that is exactly what I did because the buttons were worn off and a new oem control was not that much, however unbeknownst to me the replacement control needed to be programmed to my truck and it was looking for a non-existent temperature sensor and it would only produce heat if turned up to 90deg, set it to 89 and it would go right back to cold. As James stated there are 2 sensors in the headliner one is right above the drivers seat possibly along with a bose mic that looks just like it if you have the bose system, the 2nd one is above the passenger side 2nd row seat in the headliner. they are the same part used in the 2003-2014 and cost about $25 so if one of those is your issue it is easy to find and easy to replace, mine was looking for a 3rd one that would supposedly be in the headliner in the rear cargo area drivers side but those do not exist in our trucks (that was my issue and the calibration file for the hvac control for my vin corrected the problem). The small temperature sensor you refer to are inside the hvac tube and there is around 6 or so of them throughout the vehicle, should you locate one they can be tested with a meter and a blow dryer, attach the meter to the two legs of the sensor and set it to ohms, as you blow hot air on it the ohm's should change. also the harness connector that said sensor plugs into should read 5v. those little sensors seem to be pretty hardy and I have never head of one failing, the ones in the headliners do go funky and could cause your issue if it is not the main control or a actuator.

OP
OP
J

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, an LTZ Tahoe ought to have 1 or 2 of those little vents right above the driver's head and to the side of the moonroof. 2 if the engine is an L9H.

View attachment 368009
I definitely have an LTZ and I don't have that vent. Perhaps the headliner was redone and they covered it. Also makes me wonder if mine is near the instrument cluster.
Thank you for the photo - I will double check that area. Even with no vent, maybe there is one up there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first question is did this problem just happen all on it's own or did you change the main hvac control panel out?

Yes I did swap my hvac control out.

How did you program the replacement? Can it be done 'at home'?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I did swap my hvac control out.

How did you program the replacement? Can it be done 'at home'?
you need a tech2 and pay for the service contract online, they have made some changes but generally it used to be $40 for 2 years "per vin"
if you plan on doing more and more maintenance yourself a clone tech2 runs about $300 and will pay it's self in no time.
otherwise you can just take it to the dealer and ask them to install the calibration file for your vin and that should resolve it. generally that service runs about $120 but can vary from dealer to dealer, you can go to any GM dealer for that, buick, gmc, chevy, cadillac, etc

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely have an LTZ and I don't have that vent. This makes me wonder if mine is near the instrument cluster.
Thank you for the photo - I will double check that area. Even with no vent, maybe there is one up there.
How long have you had the truck and was the headliner ever replaced? I've never seen without at least one but admittedly doubt I've seen them all!

OP
OP
J

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a tech2 and pay for the service contract online, they have made some changes but generally it used to be $40 for 2 years "per vin"
if you plan on doing more and more maintenance yourself a clone tech2 runs about $300 and will pay it's self in no time.
otherwise you can just take it to the dealer and ask them to install the calibration file for your vin and that should resolve it. generally that service runs about $120 but can vary from dealer to dealer, you can go to any GM dealer for that, buick, gmc, chevy, cadillac, etc
Thank you.

I also need to recalibrate or reprogram my actuator(s). The guides for "at home" programming don't work for me. Seems like most of them are geared to 99-06 Tahoes and so forth.

Maybe I will pick up a clone tech 2 so that I can get all of that sorted. I'll have to do some research to make sure what I buy can perform what I need. :)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

I also need to recalibrate or reprogram my actuator(s). The guides for "at home" programming don't work for me. Seems like most of them are geared to 99-06 Tahoes and so forth.

Maybe I will pick up a clone tech 2 so that I can get all of that sorted. I'll have to do some research to make sure what I buy can perform what I need. :)
pulling the hvac fuse or disconnection the battery for a couple minutes makes them self-calibrate, you can hear them doing it if you just turn the key on afterwards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep