HVAC Control Head?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part number in your pic was replaced by 89018365, which is what I replaced my bad original (52402588) with in my 04 with auto climate.

The lower one near the 'hump"?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that one in 2012. This time I had to do passenger side, which was buried under the dash cover. Same part # for me.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original problem was only hot air blowing out of drivers vents.... I installed a 'new' used digital control unit, recalibrated, and the actuator still does not move... I cannot install it because the slot is in the wrong position... the door it controls only moves about 1/4 turn and the slot in the actuator will not line up with the position of the door.... but, just hanging there, plugged in, it never moves, and it is my second new one, neither moves.... all fuses are good... I don't know what to try next....
I feel your pain. Was having the same issue with the Mode Actuator (Computer Climate Control) Used actuator worked for five seconds. New actuator (AC Delco Brand New) worked for five seconds. NOT going to buy a tech-2 because I shouldn't have too. Have it set manually so heat comes out of the vents only but does the job and gets nice and warm. Truck has had electrical issues in the past. Might try a used head unit and that will be the last attempt. Heater works great and I have plenty of warm socks.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I fought this same fight with our 02 Envoy for 3 years. Went through four different actuators. They would work for 5 seconds and then quit. The wife was out of patience for it. I cam really close to making a lever and using a lawnmower throttle cable to control the modes. The damn truck would not self calibrate the actuators. Once I got a tech2 I had it fixed in an hour. I shouldn’t have needed the tech2 but I certainly needed it.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought about rigging something up as well. Back in the day we never had this crap happen. Yours never recalibrated and I'm sure mine won't either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems removing the used ones from the junk yard trucks or installing them in your truck? No problems getting the new one lined up properly? I had all kinds of problems.

Sorry, just now saw this. Oh it was no fun getting it lined up, it took a few tries, but eventually I did manage to get it.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fought this same fight with our 02 Envoy for 3 years. Went through four different actuators. They would work for 5 seconds and then quit. The wife was out of patience for it. I cam really close to making a lever and using a lawnmower throttle cable to control the modes. The damn truck would not self calibrate the actuators. Once I got a tech2 I had it fixed in an hour. I shouldn’t have needed the tech2 but I certainly needed it.
I am struggling with the same issue. Failing mode actuator would only go half way. The replacement did everything backasswards. vent in defrost mode, no movement in between, defrost in vent mode.

I went through several calibration techniques I found and never would they actually go through their sweeps.
I wish I had a tech2.

Last edited:

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems removing the used ones from the junk yard trucks or installing them in your truck? No problems getting the new one lined up properly? I had all kinds of problems.
The 'mode door actuator' you have to rotate a little to line if up with the shaft it slides on and then trun it to where the mounts line up. The heater control actuator 'blend door' is easier to line up if you turn the blend door a little by hand. In both cases you have to make sure your actuator is within its movement range indicated by the marks. If it's out of that range, you have to turn the motor in the actuator on the bench with jumpers. There's a video by ACDelco on this on utube.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
These are all good points but if the truck doesn’t see the counts from the position sensor it will fail calibration. Thats what mine was doing. It wouldn't see the counts correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout