Hptuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the right direction for the right hptuners plug in to get for a beginner? I would like to learn to do my own. I used to have a bb tune but they no longer off the trade in ecm and what they want now for the autocal is crazy out of my budget. Also i hear it tales a min to get tune changes and i dont have that kind of time. Also im just a curious person who loves knowledge. Where i live ive yet to fine a group of people of person who knows any5hing about our trucks and can tune with any kind of greatness. Tyia.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can use the pro or standard hptuners. run ya like 400 with 2 credits for the standard, pro iirc is a couple hundo more.

best start reading up tho. or its all gonna be Chinese to you. unless Chinese, then its all gonna look like german lol

for real theres some tuning dvd's, tuning on line classes, and your tube has a ton of ppl sharing how things work. goat rope garage is pretty good.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/\ yep, couple hundred bux for the unit, youll need credits new units come with credits or youll have to buy more. it's really not any cheaper to get started

hptuners website has a forum, performancetrucks.net/ls1tech.com has a tuning section figure out what ecm you have and start searching. efilive forum has plenty of great info also you just need to know how it associates to the tabs in hpt.

the pro allows you to add external devices (wb02)

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/\

the pro allows you to add external devices (wb02)

i went with a standard hpt and log my wb via the egr. saved a couple hundo right there.

my trucks a 05 has no egr, so i had to add two pinned wires to the pcm plug and then turned on the egr in the tune, then disabled the egr's settings. cause you dont want it to think theres one and it messes with the cars tune.

can also use the ac compressors plug. but i like my ac.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Are you a newbie or were you? Was it real hard to get or did you go little by little? And what do you mean no egr like you deleted them thru long tubes or whatnot?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you a newbie or were you? Was it real hard to get or did you go little by little? And what do you mean no egr like you deleted them thru long tubes or whatnot?

they stopped putting egr's on these trucks. so it never had one. but its still there in the tune and can be turned on. now being it never had a egr it lacks the plug for a egr, so you add two wires to the pcm that would have been for the egr, now the 5 volt signal from your wb is feed to the pcm via the egr wires. you do some work in the hpt scanner to set it all up

as far as gm v8 tuning goes, im still noobish, but had been tuning my old car a 98 regal gs for the last ten years as mods grew. so i got the general pricipals down, but the v8 files are way more complex then my old v6 cars files.

my 05 tahoe, i did a trans tune, adjusted the pe enable and the afr for it. then did a little maf tuning cause i have a wb installed. widebands are key to tuning anything. had one in my regal, ones in the hoe, and i have a 13 ss camaro that i just installed a dual monitoring wideband. aka reads both banks. where most you just use one bank or side of the engine.

038.jpg

20200414_151836.jpg

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry to keep bothering you but what is the wideband for? I see theres an hptuners pro that hooks up to that? Is a wideband something a tuner should get? Does it make it easier? Btw i love those 3800 series 2 motors. I had a 96 bonneville ssei that i absolutley loved. Would get one again in a heartbeat if i could find one here in mi thats not rusted all out.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still miss the regal. she was a blast. i had headers, gen 5 blower, 3.0 pulley, fsic, 42 lb injectors, 1.95 yt roller rockers, ported heads on a l36 na block and meth injection. make 13 psi. and thats where my injectors ran out of head room. if i had gotten 60 lb injectors i could have went even smaller on the pulley.

20190207_170825.jpg

so the wide band reads your actual air fuel ratio. so like the 3800 being a blower car you set the pe afr to 11.6 and then adjust the maf till the wb reads 11.6 or as close to that as you can get.

bottom row, you see commanded afr, wb and wb error. thats as close as one can hope to get it all. this was while i was tuning in the meth i got the timing up to 21 KR free. 22 and she knocked.
20190303_141236.jpg

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but this cars way more fun, ecs big blower cam, running na for now, made 443 whp, getting a pro charger real soon. kooks lone tube headers, stock cat back if you can believe that, and a circle d 3400 triple disk tc. this car make you smile every time i start it. and random giggles happen.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
but this cars way more fun, ecs big blower cam, running na for now, made 443 whp, getting a pro charger real soon. kooks lone tube headers, stock cat back if you can believe that, and a circle d 3400 triple disk tc. this car make you smile every time i start it. and random giggles happen.

Damn @Scottydoggs ! Love your SS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec