Howling front/clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I was driving to work this morning on the highway about 70mph, I started to hear the front end start to howl or even groan sort of like mud tires. So I am slowing down for the tolls and it gets loader and as I am almost stopped I heard a big clunk.
So I thought my 4x4 was stuck on so I tried to mess with it but no change in tone or anything.
So I am now hearing the noise bad and it isn't pulling or dragging, doesn't get louder going left to right I thought it was the rear end.
But I hear it the loudest with the windows closed, when I open them it is to deadened by outside noise.

So conclusion the truck is now down due to it's real load all the time.
Do you think the front diff is smoked or even the tranny?

any info will help, i'm supposed to drop the truck soon but now I have to put it on hold till I figure out how much this will cost..

Thanks

OP
OP
swtz71

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what side is the noise comin from? sounds like a wheel bearing

Oh sorry I never updated this.
I replaced both wheel bearings and the front end fluid. but the main problem was the left side bearing man was it shot..