How unique are Key Fob frequencies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like both my NBS trucks to be able to unlock/lock with the same key fob... Is this possible?

Could I look up the serial number of when of the modules, and order it to match?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys at the tire shop were stunned to find out another Tahoe/Suburban in the shop that same day I was getting tires mounted had the same fob code programmed!

They found out when the other truck was done. They moved it outside and locked it. Mine was still in the bay when the horn beeped and my technician got locked out. He unlocked my truck and the other truck beeped and unlocked before the other tech could walk away, so that guy locked the outside truck again. That locked the tech out of my truck a second time.

It was a minute or two before they figured out what was going on, so the lock/unlock battle between the two vehicles continued a few more times.

They said they have never had that happen since they started working there. "What are the odds of that!", they said...

We all had a good laugh!

Frequencies between two fobs from the same vintage should be the same. I believe they are actually transmitting unique (or in my case almost unique) codes to the receiver in the truck. I would think you should be able to program the same fob to two vehicles. That might be easier with a Tech 2. I have never tried what you are thinking of trying. I think it should work.

From what I have seen in programming instructions, I am pretty sure you need to start the programming process like this:
The fob you want to be using on both trucks would need to get added to the second truck it currently does not work on.
Programming on that second truck needs to be initiated with the fob that the second truck already has programmed.

You may need to get more guidance from people who have already done this. I am sure you are not the first to want the same fob to work on multiple vehicles.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is an insane coincidence!!

I’m glad to hear about it though, since that means it is possible (even from the factory?)

Do you happen to remember if both of these trucks were the exact same year?

I’ll try programming the second truck with the first keyfob to see if it works, but one of mine is a 2001 and the other is a 2004… so, idk if there was a frequency change for the 03-06 models.

I’ll update when I find out.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is an insane coincidence!!

I’m glad to hear about it though, since that means it is possible (even from the factory?)

Do you happen to remember if both of these trucks were the exact same year?

I’ll try programming the second truck with the first keyfob to see if it works, but one of mine is a 2001 and the other is a 2004… so, idk if there was a frequency change for the 03-06 models.

I’ll update when I find out.
I don't know what year the other truck was, I just heard the horns beeping and the guys laughing about locking each other out while they were in the work bay.

As far as 2001 and 2004 frequencies on the transmitters... From what I was able to see on Google for replacement fobs, they both operate on the same frequency of 315 Mhz.

I have'y done programming of fobs, but instructions I saw indicate you need the original fob that is already programmed with you when you program the second one for them both to work. I think it wipes out the first one, if you only have the second one when the process is happening.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys at the tire shop were stunned to find out another Tahoe/Suburban in the shop that same day I was getting tires mounted had the same fob code programmed!

They found out when the other truck was done. They moved it outside and locked it. Mine was still in the bay when the horn beeped and my technician got locked out. He unlocked my truck and the other truck beeped and unlocked before the other tech could walk away, so that guy locked the outside truck again. That locked the tech out of my truck a second time.

It was a minute or two before they figured out what was going on, so the lock/unlock battle between the two vehicles continued a few more times.

They said they have never had that happen since they started working there. "What are the odds of that!", they said...

We all had a good laugh!

Frequencies between two fobs from the same vintage should be the same. I believe they are actually transmitting unique (or in my case almost unique) codes to the receiver in the truck. I would think you should be able to program the same fob to two vehicles. That might be easier with a Tech 2. I have never tried what you are thinking of trying. I think it should work.

From what I have seen in programming instructions, I am pretty sure you need to start the programming process like this:
The fob you want to be using on both trucks would need to get added to the second truck it currently does not work on.
Programming on that second truck needs to be initiated with the fob that the second truck already has programmed.

You may need to get more guidance from people who have already done this. I am sure you are not the first to want the same fob to work on multiple vehicles.
My wife had that happen on her 2017 Denali. She walked out from shopping and "unlocked" her truck - same color and everything. She started moving stuff inside and realized something was off and then found out she was in another person's vehicle. I didn't think it was possible either, buy have been proven wrong. Funny and scary at the same time.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's only a limited number of IDs for those systems and, as far as I know, they all share the same frequency (at least within a model generation). Same thing for keys themselves; there are other vehicles out there your key will work on, too. Later trucks, maybe not -- due to the chip in the key. But I have no experience with those systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3