How to shop for an intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are three different types of intakes:

Closed Box (ie. Volant, Outlaw)
Open Element (ie. AEM, K&N FIPK)
Drop In filter (ie. K&N)

When looking at manufacturers claims, one shouldn't just look at the HP numbers:

You need to look at the highest average airflow which is directly related to torque (subsequently HP).

Manifold pressure (MAP) is a measurement of restriction, the higher the number the less restriction, so this is another big point.

IAT (Intake Air Temp) recovery is another big factor in narrowing down a good intake.

Closed box intakes do better at lower speeds as there won't be as much of a heat soak issue. The open elements use metal shields which absorbs heat (heat soak).

The open element intakes drop temperatures a lot quicker at higher speeds which in turn creates denser air. The denser air allows for more airflow, which then of course makes more power.

This all being said, intakes (as well as exhausts) are a matter of personal preference, just taking off the stock tube takes off a lot of restriction. Realistically, the differences between intakes (ie. open vs. open and closed vs. closed) will be minimal. One thing I do encourage anyone who purchases an aftermarket unit to do, is check the fitment every couple hundred miles, these things find a way to wiggle loose and can cause a drop in performance as well as MPG.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
I think Jenna typed it perfectly. It really, in the end, tends to come down to personal preference.

Last edited:

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yes, personal preference... yessssss....

JK also has an off brand intake that Justin said performed VERY well... I have a makeshit setup using an aftermarket intake tube, drop in filter and some extra holes drilled... this was the cheap route for me and based on the numbers i have seen in the past was enough performance for me and saved me well into the $150 range.

I will say the fitment is an issue, i believe it is STILL an issue with my airraid tube fitting properly, Justin found an "issue" at my throttle body that we never hammered down and i believe it was the intake tube not adhearing well to the TB...

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outlaw is no longer around but S&B offers a closed box system and AFE and even K&N are starting to close up the filters hmmmm I wonder who started that trend lol good right up

There are three different types of intakes:

Closed Box (ie. Volant, Outlaw)
Open Element (ie. AEM, K&N FIPK)
Drop In filter (ie. K&N)

When looking at manufacturers claims, one shouldn't just look at the HP numbers:

You need to look at the highest average airflow which is directly related to torque (subsequently HP).

Manifold pressure (MAP) is a measurement of restriction, the higher the number the less restriction, so this is another big point.

IAT (Intake Air Temp) recovery is another big factor in narrowing down a good intake.

Closed box intakes do better at lower speeds as there won't be as much of a heat soak issue. The open elements use metal shields which absorbs heat (heat soak).

The open element intakes drop temperatures a lot quicker at higher speeds which in turn creates denser air. The denser air allows for more airflow, which then of course makes more power.

This all being said, intakes (as well as exhausts) are a matter of personal preference, just taking off the stock tube takes off a lot of restriction. Realistically, the differences between intakes (ie. open vs. open and closed vs. closed) will be minimal. One thing I do encourage anyone who purchases an aftermarket unit to do, is check the fitment every couple hundred miles, these things find a way to wiggle loose and can cause a drop in performance as well as MPG.

Denali---LQ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i like my volant ... i was not expecting the sound to be as loud as it was ... but still a great system

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do agree about fitment, i have had to tighten mine down a couple times. but it seems to be fitting better an better as the rubber just forms the way it needs to... I wouldnt have had it any other way. plus i saved $240 and still gained a little pep and a little over 1mpg... Cant beat that!!!!!!!!!

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just got a hold of Max today and told him to put me down for an AEM Brute Force - I'll be picking it up on Tuesday :D.

Too bad AEM got bought out by K&N...Max's price on the intakes have gone up quite a bit. BUT, that being said, he still gives a hell of a discount to us. His price, even with the increase, is still about $50-$60 cheaper than the closest competitor.

I'm putting it on as soon as I pick it up Tuesday, then on Friday we're driving to CA from Denver. I'll be interested to see what kind of seat of the pants gains I get with it since I already have my tune done. Hopefully I'll get a little bump in fuel mileage too. Best I've gotten so far is 18.8mpg on an otherwise stock truck thats leveled front and rear running 285s. Pretty impressive in and of itself, but I'll keep everyone posted. If I can squeak closer to the coveted 20mpg mark, I'll be thrilled.