How To: Service/Replace ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That actually sounds like the hub bearings themselves are going out. The best way to eliminate that though is to jack up the front of the truck and grab the tire at 6 & 12 o'clock and push in and out, if it moves back and forth at all doing this then the hub bearings need to be replaced. I do highly recommend doing both sides at the same time. Also keep in mind that it is also possible that the hub bearing can be going bad without having play in it, so even if that test doesn't produce any movement, it is possible that the bearings need replaced anyway.

As for the sensor removal, there isn't really any special trick to it and if this has never been performed before, it is very possible to break the end of the sensor off during removal. The good thing is that the sensor itself is fairly cheap to replace.

sawmkw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chris, you rock!

My ABS light has been on for a year now and was not working. As soon as it quits snowing I'm checking this out.

pdalton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I couldn't tell what year vehicle this "How To" applies to, but I think it's not applicable to mine, which is a 1997 Suburban C1500 5.7L.

Is there a "How To" somewhere that provides the information about servicing/replacing the ABS Wheel Speed Sensor on a 1997 model?

I also would like to know whether there is a way to determine whether it's the left or the right side front wheel sensor that's bad.

Thanks,
Paul

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This DIY was meant for 2001-2006 model vehicles for the most part. However, the ABS speed sensors should be in fairly the same place on your truck. To be able to tell which side is bad, you need a scan tool that will read the ABS codes. Those codes will help to narrow down the side. But, it is very possible that your ABS module itself is bad. You could very well wind up replacing the sensors, hubs and all of that and still not fix it before you replace the module itself.

pdalton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So it sounds like I need to go to the dealership to get a diagnosis of which speed sensor to replace or if it's the ABS module, huh? Any idea of what would be a reasonable fee for doing that?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than $75-$100 for it. Other auto shops can do it as well. Make sure to get the actual code for us though

Yukon_01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this information! I just did this to the my wife's 2001 Yukon XL. Solved the problem completely.

Thanks again!

Gunclasses

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The shop I just took my 2005 Yukon to said this was in the hub assembly and that I shouldn't try to tackle this. This looks easy though. Am I right in assuming this will work for my 2005 Yukon?

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop I just took my 2005 Yukon to said this was in the hub assembly and that I shouldn't try to tackle this. This looks easy though. Am I right in assuming this will work for my 2005 Yukon?

I never received an email notification of this comment. I sincerely apologize for missing it. To answer the question for everyone, yes, this is applicable for an 05 Yukon. The ABS sensor is mounted to the top of the hub assembly, it is the ABS gear that is inside the hub assembly. This service thread does not deal with opening the hub assembly itself so the shop in question is mistaken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd