How To: Service/Replace ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem at all. The first few I did happened the same way. I got REAL good at getting them apart...lol

dbooksta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OBD Scanners?

Are there any non-dealer OBD scanners that can show me which wheel has the bad sensor? I tried with a 2002 Auto X-Ray on my 2004 Yukon but it doesn't know any codes dealing with those sensors.

Also on a AWD truck are there sensors on all four wheels?

And what's the part number on the sensor. If I have to spend that much time just to remove the sensor and clean the area I'd like to have a new one on hand!

Last edited:

FoeHammer865

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bump.

I'm interested in answers to dBookstra's questions as that's my case with a '03 Denali XL.

TREVOR

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I missed this somehow, but I have answered the questions below in the quoted area.

Are there any non-dealer OBD scanners that can show me which wheel has the bad sensor? I tried with a 2002 Auto X-Ray on my 2004 Yukon but it doesn't know any codes dealing with those sensors.
There are actually many aftermarket scanners out there, but most are expensive, in the thousands of dollars each. If you have the cash and would like to have the ability to scan, data log, clear codes, or whatever; an EFI Live V2 scanner would probably be your best bet, especially if there is any chance at all that you might tune it in the future.

Also on a AWD truck are there sensors on all four wheels?
No Sir, only on the front wheels and one at the rear axle housing, but that rear one is RARELY the issue.

And what's the part number on the sensor. If I have to spend that much time just to remove the sensor and clean the area I'd like to have a new one on hand!
You can actually find them on Ebay below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-2274...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item56545ebd9b

FreeIndeed

Reaction score
I'm going to try this, but I'm a noob, so we'll see how getting the caliper and rotor off go. Also, I have a 2005 Denali XL. So far, none of the parts that have been posted fit that model. I tried the part above, but apparently they don't fit the Denali's. Any ideas on what the PN for the sensor is for my truck?
Thanks! This forum rocks.

mickb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chris- 2 years later and your still helping people with this problem. Thank You,Thank You,Thank You !

martha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My first post, registered to thank the OP! Thanks, very helpful info. Paint was a good idea, piece of mind if nothing else... Had a shop do the cleaning in 2008, time flies, and the problem returned. They did not replace the sensors then.

I will add my 2c.. I have a 1997. Bought 2 new sensors in case I needed them for 41$ from O'Reilley's (L and R specific).. Did the L first. Found I had amazing amount of rust and a dirt shield blocking my view after rotor was off. Could not (and should not) remove hub studs to remove it, so I did what any self respecting hack would do, I bent the crap out of it until I could get at the sensor nut. It was a 5mm hex. I found a air compressor was almost a necessity to remove the junk from around the sensor. It also helped with drying the paint and thinning it to not have it be too thick. Bending the shield back seemed to go easy. I used a small piece of paper towel to plug the holes during cleaning and painting. I too had the plastic cover stay behind and used a fine and bigger hemostat to remove it. It took all of 2 hours for the first one, then before I could do the other side, I got called into work and had to drive it.. Guess what, it's fixed! So I'll return the R side sensor and wait another year or 2... Why fix now what may never break??

I sort of thought the R side would be more likely to have rust as it sees the roadside slush a bit more, but that logic failed, and my L bearing has made more noise so I luckily went there first.. I was due a break!

Thanks again for the write up and pics.

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is truly my pleasure to continue to support the thread and the forum in general. Although not able to get here as much as I would like. I am glad to see that this thread has helped some of you guys get this figured out on the cheap. Just a side note, I do not always receive notifications of posts to the thread, so if you need help looking up part numbers or anything of that sort, either pm me or one of the other forum vendors and any one of us would be happy to help you find what you need.

wolfehunter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What a very helpful post! I registered today after reading the post and tearing into this project this afternoon! I had a lot of corrosion. I cleaned everything with a wire brush and am getting ready to hit it with rustoleum. My truck is a 98 4X4 Silverado and recently developed a "creeping" while braking at slow speeds and what feels like the ABS coming on. I had trouble removing the sensors from the hub. Is there a trick? Removed the small bolt holding them on and tried pulling them out but would not budge. I could twist them back and forth somewhat and even tried pulling up on them with a pliers to no avail. Got a small screwdriver under them and tried to pry out and ended up breaking both of them! Used a needle nose to pull the broken pieces out.....what a clutz! So now I need two new sensors regardless. Plan to check online for some.

GRG5289

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Gang!

I just googled my way to this site and found this topic, I'm hoping this is related to my issue. I have a 2006 Tahoe, when I go to take off from a red light or stop sign I get a growl from what sounds like the traction control (as if you would lock the brakes and slide in the snow) or tried to spin the tires from a dead stop in the snow. This vehicle was parked under trees and the bottom side is very rusty, ( just had to replace a front impact sensor) Does this sound like a wheel speed sensor could be causing this?

Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne