How to replace a CV joint, '99 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Hey all. Truck broke again. Yay. I couldn't take pictures because I fixed it in the middle of the night, using a headlamp. This is a super dirty, but super easy job. I give it 2 of 5 wrenches.

I have a 4" Pro Comp lift, so my control arms are different than stock, and I don't know how that will affect you when you do this if your rig is stock. I had to remove the caliper/disc, unbolt the bottom shock mount, and fully compress the shock to make a hole big enough to get the differential side of the half shaft out.

The shop quoted me $300 in labor, with no mention of parts cost or markup. I got out the door for less than $80, and an hour of my night doing this myself.

You absolutely must have:
-New half shaft/CV joint ($70 with $120 Core)
-15mm end wrench
-Hub nut socket (New CV joint comes with a new hub nut, use it to get the right size socket)
-Lug wrench
-Jack

You might need:
-18mm socket (or crescent wrench, for shock mount bolt)
-18mm end wrench (or crescent wrench, for shock mount nut)
-Long handled hex wrench (for caliper removal)

Steps:
-With the truck on the ground, loosen the lug nuts.
-Jack the appropriate wheel off the ground, take the wheel off. You do not need to unspring the suspension, just get the wheel off the ground.
-Put 2 lug nuts back on to hold the disc in place, put a wrench in the vanes of the disc so that it binds at the caliper, and loosen/remove the hub nut. 180lbs, baby...
-Remove all the 15mm bolts holding the half shaft to the output shaft/differential.
-Remove the wrench you jammed in the disc, the lug nuts, and loosen the 2 hex bolts holding the caliper on to remove the caliper. The disc will just about fall off now.
-Unbolt the bottom shock mount, push/compress the shock all the way up and out of the way.
-Pull the differential side of the half shaft up and forward, and slip the splined axle inward out of the hub to get it out. Remove the half shaft axle first, maneuvering it rearward through the opening you just created by moving the shock out of the way. Put the old one in the packaging the new one came with, or they won't take it in as core.
-Maneuver the new half shaft roughly into place, with the differential side up and forward.
-Put the axle side of the the half shaft in- it will slide in easily when it is lined up correctly. This takes a little fidgeting.
-Mate up the holes on the differential side, and put the 15mm bolts back in finger tight, along with the hub nut.
-Pull the shock back down, and put the bolt back in.
-Replace the disc, and the caliper.
-Put a wrench in the the disc at the other side of the caliper now, and tighten the 15mm bolts on the differential side of the half shaft, and tighten the hub nut. 180lbs, baby...
-Put your wheel back on, finger tighten your lugs.
-put your hoe back on the ground, tighten your lugs.

-Go for a victory drive.
:headbang:

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, as it was a long time ago I did it. But my Tahoe has stock suspension and I think I had to separate the ball joint to make room to pull/install the shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442