How to remove the speaker grill for painting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
How do i take this speaker grill off? My driver's is a little rusty/discolored and could use a spray job. Not sure if i'll paint it black or try to find a match. Anyone know a matching spray (I have the pewter interior)...

IMG_6237[1].JPG

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do it correctly without breaking anything, you need to take the interior door panel off. The speaker grille is held in place by tabs that are part of the grille and tuck in and behind the door panel to keep it tight. I got lucky the first time and got one out, but could not get the tabs tucked in tight enough, so when I changed the door handles, I removed them easily and painted them black at that time. I also have pewter interior, but wanted some contrast. I like the black much better. I also painted the trim piece under the door handle black.

IMG_6628.JPG

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to take off the door panel, there's tabs on the back that just push out. Sorry I can't help with the paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paint is SEM 17163 Medium Dark Pewter. Most automotive paint stores stock it or find it online. It matches the GM Pewter interior color (RPO code 92I/922)

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Yea take the time and take off the panels to remove the grilles. Otherwise theres a chance of broken tabs or warped grille.

Does anybody know what actual material the grille is made of? Type of metal? Aluminum?
Wonder if it can be stripped to raw material for paint.....or maybe powder coating?
Just brainstorming.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
I'm sure just degreasing it and light sanding will be fine. Primer if you're super worried about it

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum. As treehan77 said if you really want to go that far. I hit mine front and back with 3 coats of
semi-gloss black without any prep and they still look great. They were pewter color to start from OEM.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I was thinking of removing the existing paint using paint stripper and starting from scratch. Or clear the aluminum for a different look.
I know most just scuff up the grille and paint over it. Just thinking outside the box. Was at a salvage yard and saw this grill on a rear panel. Took a picture to show you how its clipped in. Also grabbed it up so I can mess with it for different ideas

20160209_140416.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts