How to remove scuff/rash on front bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rubbed the bumper on the way out of the garage. I suspect white latex paint. What do I try first to remove the paint without damaging the finish worse than it already is?

Last edited:

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the affected area? Not sure if I would use harsh chemicals to remove the latex paint. Maybe machine polishing/buffing with a good cutting compound? Not sure if claybar will do the trick either.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think clay will be up to it. I would see what you can do with a soft bristle brush and some goof off first. I ended up using a compound when someone tagged my mirror. but i dont think that was latex.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Share a pic.

Most simple paint transfer can be removed easily and harmlessly using compound and a DA polisher. You can often do just as good a job by hand, without a buffer, but it takes a lot longer.

OP
OP
Burby

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips - if I use the compound and a DA polisher do i need to tape off and protect the surrounding area?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. No need to tape off anything with a good compound. I recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Compound----it's broadly available and not expensive, it gets out overspray, paint transfer and minor paint defects very well but does not harm or over-cut any paint. Very easy to work with, even by hand.

OP
OP
Burby

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations - going with light duty cleaner vs. harsher polish was the key. The scuff was ugly but is now gone and the only bit remaining is a couple of scratches. I'll try to update with photos at some point. THanks again -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts