HOW TO: Program new key fobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
HOW TO: Program new key fobs - No PIN on #8

Here are the steps necessary to program new (or used) key fob(s) to work with your vehicle.

You will need to locate the ODB I or ODB II (year dependent) connector under the driver side dash. For I, you will need to connect a port to a ground. You can do this with a paper clip connected to a wire and connect to a grounded bolt. ODB II can be done with with a paper clip as you will only need to connect two pins. Obviously not the only way to do this; get creative.

95 - 96 Yukon and 95 Tahoe

First, connect the G pin to ground. Truck should lock and unlock within a couple of seconds.

79e71595688d90ed51c3_1.jpg

Press lock on the new remote. The truck will lock and unlock to confirm. Simply press lock on any additional remotes. Once again, truck should confirm by lock and unlock for each additional remote.

Now you can remove the jumper wire and test each remote.

97 - 99 Yukon and 98 - 99 Tahoe

First, connect port 8 to port 4. Truck will signify connection with a lock and unlock.

b91da3be9cb4b21674a0_1.jpg

Press and hold, both lock and unlock buttons. Do this until the truck locks and unlocks; this can take up to 20 seconds. After this you can release the buttons.

Do the same for any additional key fobs, but you will need to begin the procedure within one minute of the previous key fob programmed.

Note; you may need to program existing fobs as well. If you find after connecting a new fob that previously working ones no longer do; then you will need to program all of them sequentially.

You can now remove the jumper wire or clip and test each fob (including any previously used fobs).

----------- Adding No PIN on port #8 issue; Thanks to 99Vortec-----------

I wanted to add a solution to your how-to guide for users who encounter no pin in port #8.

Done on '99 Yukon Denali.

First remove the radio fuse. Then follow the steps below...

(If the Delco Radio theftlock feature is enabled make sure that you have the pin handy for re-entry.)

1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver's door panel-continue to hold down until instructed to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock the doors automatically.

Then I was able to program the new Keyfob by holding both it's lock and unlock buttons until the vehicles locks cycled again.

Mark

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues