How to install OEM backup camera to OEM navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LILC509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to look at your camera and find what supply voltage it requires. I am not sure how many types of oem camera's there are, I just know mine specified 5V 3A

I called the dealer and asked they asked if for an Avalanche/EXT or Escalade/ESV. I said ESV and he read me the specs which was 6V 3amp. So I ordered a converter from 12v dc to 6v dc. I'm adding this to my avic-z130bt which is wired the same way but you put an additional wire from the positive reverse light wire to the violet/white wire of the avic-z130bt to trigger the automatic reverse mode to automactically have your screen display the camera while in reverse. All other connections and wires are still used the same way.

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
What is the extra wire for? I wired power to the camera from the reverse light as well, and mine comes on automatically when in reverse...Is it something extra you had to do for your setup?

LILC509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the extra wire for? I wired power to the camera from the reverse light as well, and mine comes on automatically when in reverse...Is it something extra you had to do for your setup?

Camera wires to converter: Camera Red to converter red, Camera Black to converter black.

Camera wires to RCA wire to avic-z130bt: Camera Yellow + to RCA center wire and White - to RCA outer wire then connect the other end to the RCA input on the avic-z130bt.

Converter wires to reverse tail light: Converter red to reverse tail light positive, black to chasis or negative reverse tail light.

Extra wire connect it from the positive reverse tail light to the back of violet/white wire of the avic-z130bt to trigger the screen to change to back up camera mode. This mode will only kick in when its put in reverse and then it will change back to what it was before automatically.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the OEM camera is fairly standard, and I could use one, since it fits the rear door, and connect it to some aftermarket lcd panel? Our PPV doesn't have any nav or lcd panel-type stereo, so we'd have to add our own. Perhaps a screen in a mirror would work? The truck get's backed into the garage daily, and backing in would be eased greatly with a backup camera.

Last edited:

Gatorlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off topic but I wanna get an aftermarket camera/sunvisor screen to have on while I'm driving, don't really need a camera to back up but I always wanna see more behind me while driving on the interstate

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the OEM camera is fairly standard, and I could use one, since it fits the rear door, and connect it to some aftermarket lcd panel? Our PPV doesn't have any nav or lcd panel-type stereo, so we'd have to add our own. Perhaps a screen in a mirror would work? The truck get's backed into the garage daily, and backing in would be eased greatly with a backup camera.

Yes you could do that. It's just a camera with power/ground and an output that you could hook to anything.

off topic but I wanna get an aftermarket camera/sunvisor screen to have on while I'm driving, don't really need a camera to back up but I always wanna see more behind me while driving on the interstate

you can get them on eBay

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Nathan. Yeah, after posting that query, I saw your other thread about adding the camera to an aftermarket head unit. We'll look for a system and see where to install it.

alliam79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for digging up suck an old thread but I am having a few problems with my installation.

I bought an OEM camera system, ran to an aftermarket head unit. I have power to the camera but nothing when switching to reverse. The only thing running to the head unit is the video RCA. I will mention also that I did not cut the RCA connector, I used a female to female adapter to link my camera input to the excess RCA cable going to the head unit.