How To: Install battery tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I have found that the old NAPA battery that was in my truck was going out and had been leaking since the PO had put it in. The whole battery tray had rotted out and began to fall in.

So, I went and picked up a new tray from GM and a new Optima red top battery. The new tray cost me $24.00 and the Optima Red top cost me around $130.00.

Battery Tray- GM Part #15891945 (Drivers Side)

--------------------

Materials:
3/8 Ratchet
10MM Socket
Extension
13MM Socket
GM 5/16 Battery Terminal remover (Or 5/16 wrench)

---------------------

First Off- Remove the bar with your 10MM ratchet that runs across the top of the battery. DSC01120.gif
DSC01121.gif
DSC01122.gif

Second- Once you have that removed (Picture above), Go ahead and take your 13MM and extension and take the plastic "Holder" behind the battery. (You can discard this piece because you will need to use the one from optima). Now, Go ahead and remove the battery terminals and pull the battery out. DSC01125.gif

Third-There will be six bolts in the bottom of the tray and 2 right the in the bottom of the electrical box where the terminals were. Remove these and lift the tray straight out.
WARNING!- If there is really extreme rust like mine some bolts may not be removed with just a socket and ratchet. I had to grind the heads off and then take vice grips and pull the threads out. DSC01125.gif
DSC01128.gif

Fourth- Drop in the new tray and put the bolts back in. (I would use new ones if your old ones had to be cut out and or were all rusted like mine).
Now that you have your new tray in drop in your new battery and put your cross bar back in and your good to go!

Hope this helps!
Tyler