HOW TO FIX: - P1441 code, Purge Valve Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95gatl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
P1441

I have a 1996 Tahoe, w/the typical 5.7 liter vortec. Been getting a code P1441 for some time and finally going to resolve the issue b/c i am sick of the SERVICE ENGINE SOON (SES) light and my constant resetting it. After countless research, it is assumed to be the "general consensus" that the PURGE VALVE SOLENOID is to blame. Of course it is an emission control nonsense....but nevertheless, needs to be resolved to pass emissions and to keep the SES light off. Some of my research states that fuel economy will suffer as it can pose a RICH running condition. I'm not certain if that is indeed correct, these vehicles are not known for great economy. 16.5 mpg all hwy was the best i've ever calculated. Seems in line w/the estimated figures from EPA.

THE PART NUMBER FOR A '96 IS: PV141 from Autozone. Price $39.99.
LOCATION OF PURGE VALVE SOLENOID: Passenger side of intake manifold, under air intake tube. (pic to follow)

JOB TIME: approximately 10-15 minutes. If you have limited skills and perhaps nervous, maybe 30 minutes or less. If you've never changed oil before, it may be an idea to get a friend that has worked on engines once or twice to assist.

DIFFICULTY: fairly easy / moderately easy

SPECIAL TOOLS: No, typical set of tools (socket set, screwdriver, and plyers are fine.) ----- I did it with a flat blade screwdriver AND pair of plyers. Deep sockets would have been even quicker, so if you have them, awesome. I would say size is 10mm or 7/16" socket.

----------- PICS AND HOW TO STEP BY STEP TO FOLLOW ---------

Here is what the part looks like (you can see the old one next to the new one).
P1030684.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z315/95gatl/P1030684.jpg

Here is where the purge valve solenoid is located. Passenger size of intake manifold.
P1030681.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z315/95gatl/P1030681.jpg

STEP ONE: remove the air tube assembly by using a flat blade screwdriver (where the mass air sensor is located) (right by the airbox filter), then take off the plastic wingnut located on the top of the air tube assembly where it goes into the throttle body. Then remove assembly....a little wiggling and it will come off.
P1030682.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z315/95gatl/P1030682.jpg

STEP TWO: remove the ONE vacuum line that attaches to the purge valve solenoid. It is closest to the passenger wheel well. Disconnect the two wire connector on the purge valve solenoid.

STEP THREE: use a deep socket (10mm or 7/16") ---someone can chime in on exact size i'm sure as I only had plyers. Anyway, there are two of these nuts....remove and don't loose. There may or may not be a nut under a nut, hard to explain, but you will see what i am referring to.

STEP FOUR: gently wiggle old purge valve solenoid and lift up. It should be easy to remove. Replace with new purge valve solenoid. Tighten back up nut/bolts, not over tight please. Install wire harness, then vacuum line. Careful, you may have removed other vacuum lines around that area, check to make sure b/c that will create more issues.

STEP FIVE: reattach air tube assembly, make sure it is securely fastened. I just put the part on where the throttle body is first, starting from the front of the emgine on an angle moving torwards the rear of engine. Then tighten plastic wingnut and connect air tube assembly at mass air sensor.

STEP SIX: check to make sure all tools are removed from engine bay and check one more time to make sure all parts under the hood are correctly installed.

Reset computer using code scanner and then start up and make sure vehicle runs properly.

Done.

========================
Hope it makes sense. Only time will tell if I have resolved my SES light issue and the common P1441 code. Stay tuned......

Nevertheless, it was a very quick and easy job that I postponed for about a year b/c I didn't know how difficult the install was. Well, I assure you....it took longer to type this post than from open hood to close hood. Really.

Last edited:

kittom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue going on. Did you ever ix the problem?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strongly recommend going with OEM AC Delco parts for emissions equipment. Ive been down this road before myself and with members from other forums.......the knock off cheap stuff never works right.

Spend a couple extra bucks now, and save yourself time and money from not having to do the same job over and over.

I recently replaced this same part and my Evap vent valve with AC Delco parts......drama free since then. Here are the parts and the links on Amazon....Prime FTW

ACDelco 214-640 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Purge Valve - $29.78

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9L9Y0/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ACDelco 214-2214 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Vent Valve with Bracket - $106.84

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KSGH5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And confirmation - 10MM socket is what needed to remove the 2 bolts