How to fit 28's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new set of rims. I was thinking 26 but now I am leaning ******* just doing 28's. The truck has stock suspension at the moment as well as breaks. If i do the rims then I will do a big break kit as well. My concern here is how well will they fit? I personally saw a while back where a guy put 28" U2-55's on a Denali and there was like 3" wheel gap and he had no adjustable suspension. I would imagine that cornering would be shit but is there anything I should look into? After I get the rims I will look into lowering it but whats you guys opinions?

Pics if you have em of 28's on a similar truck.

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
I dont know it will work out on a stock truck. You might could get away with a 2/3 drop kit. Im sure it will rub though.

baa42929.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
PUNKYOU007

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say you don't know if it would work on stock? Why do you say that....not questioning you just wanting to learn.

I have seen many that were lowered with 6's and 8's so i would just assume that stock height would be fine....with a little rub im sure.

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
Sorry didnt mean to confuse you or myself for that matter haha.

Since i dont know anyone with 28s on a stock truck or since i didnt run them on a stock truck i dont know if there will be any rubbing or how the gap looks between the wheel well. Thats all i ment. Sorry about that.

OP
OP
PUNKYOU007

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, ok. What size tires are your running? How do you like the 8's? Are you happy with the size? Any advice on running a rim this large? I appreciate the help BTW

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
i think its a 295/25/28. That is what i would recommend for you. Def if your going to lower it. Its a small side wall but its either that tire or the bigger tire used for hummers or bigger trucks.

I like them alot. Around here you dont really see 28s on the nbs style trucks. We decided to go with the 8s on my truck for the simple wow factor. I dont know of another nbs that is layed out on 8s. The NNBS has more tahoe/yukons layed out on 8s.

Only advice i have which you said you were going to do was the big brake kit. If you can i would do them at the same time.

Np on the help thats what we are all here for.

OP
OP
PUNKYOU007

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Do you know what offset your rims are? Link to a build log? Was there alot of body work to get them to tuck like that. Im not interested in laying mine out like yours but I may do a simple bag setup. I know my current 22's wouldnt tuck if i could get low. I am looking at doing the u2-55s.

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8913

Build thread.

I cant remember the offset on my wheels but my axle was narrowed 5" to help get it to tuck. Yea man there is tons of work that goes into laying a suv out. If its a yukon xl or suburban then its not as bad because you dont have to cut into the door. I had the u2 55s in a 26. I love those wheels. If you go with 28s make sure you post pics.

Definition

Reaction score
I'm lowered on 28's.... I have a 2/3 ground force kit on a 295-25-28... Mines an 05 ESV though.. I had to grind down my airride braket mount...that's basically all for the back. Up front I cut the plastic and still have rubbing.. Not much to bother me, anyways on a stock suspension you should be ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442