How to find out my engine size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jyates1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need some help guys. I've got a 2004 Tahoe Z71 4WD truck and I have looked on the door posts and in the engine compartment to try and find out what size the engine is and I can't find any labels or anything about the engine.

How can I determine what size engine I have?

I changed out the thermostat today but it appears that the 4.8 and the 5.3 both take the same thermostat so that didn't help to ID it.

Thanks in advance!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a white emissions sticker on top of the air filter lid that tells you engine size. If its missing then let us know the 8th digit of your VIN located at the base of the windshield on driver side

OP
OP
J

jyates1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get the big dummy award....it was on the top of the air filter label....I "thought" I had looked at it earlier but went back and looked again and it's a 5.3 L

Thanks for y'all's help!

Grant Y

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 8th letter is "T". Which engine do I have??? The engine cover says Vortec but I think there were many different sizes of Vortec, yes? I need to know if I have the 4.8 or 5.3 ltr. Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckner0121

Latest posts