How to: DRL with Parking lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
heres a simple way to make drl come on at night or anytime park lights are on with out the need for fogs.

Take a diode and point it from the parking light fuse towards the drl fuse. This way the drl will only come one when park light is on. If it's pointing the opposite or no diode is used, any time the drl is on, it will make your running lights come on too.

I took shrink terminal connectors and attached them to each leg of the diode. I put wires in the other side of the connectors, strip the ends and wrapped it around one leg of the drl fuse 15amp #31 and used right park 15amp fuse #27

Diode I used is from radio shack 6A050960. The silver strip represents the way it allowes current to flow so make sure that's pointing towards the drl fuse.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume both will flash for signal if I just use a wire? I'd like drl and park light to be on together for DRL duties and have both flash for signaling. Both on with headlights is fine too.

This is definitely easier than jumping wires on the harness behind the headlights. I did that for awhile, but never trusted my diodes to last, so I undid it.

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
No just the outter ones signal. All this is doing is powering the DRL when running lights are on. If you want to do that then you'd need to tap into the turn wire with the DRL wire behind headlight

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
is that diode getting too hot or was that just burned from you melting the heat shrink?

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
No that's from me using a butane lighter to melt the heatshrink, got a little too close and used more that I needed too

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent write up! I will be doing this soon! I have halos and leds tied into my running/parking lights and I want the halos to come on @ night with my headlights.

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Nice. Regular halogen should be banned now. Led/hid should be the new standard

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Nice. Regular halogen should be banned now. Led/hid should be the new standard

idk about all that, I can see this if it was from factory with the right housing but, as above with the wrong housing its pretty dangerous for the people driving towards you. The lights are too bright if they are not in the right kinds of housing and adjusted to right angle. Which the majority of people have both of those wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon