How to disable hansdfeee lift gate sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcyy

Reaction score
I have also had it open while washing with the key fob in my pocket. lol
Stranger yet-the other night I hit the garage door opener for my side to go get in the Denali.When the door started up,I saw the tail lights flash-heard the 3 beeps and the lift gate started to raise. The vehicle is approx.2 1/2ft from the garage door but when both were raising,the corner of the liftgate pierced the lower panel of the garage door and both stopped instantly. Was able to get underneath both and grab the lift gate while lowering garage door to free them.Luckily, the insulation was thick enough to prevent damage to the gate but the door has a pimple on the outside. Obviously the sensor detected movement and activated so I shut it off at the overhead. Why can't GM find a way to disable the "handsfree" and still be able to use the key fob????????

KCPhil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm interested in how to disable as well, as I have had the tailgate comedown when I'm working on a surfboard\unloading groceries\ and yes waxing the rear-end, and it is a mad scramble to hit that little button to stop it from coming down on me or my stuff. I'm also worried about my 4 year old activating it when I leave the tailgate up while making multiple trips to unload luggage/groceries. It crushed a soda bottle already, so I'm not comfortable with it around kids.
It always stops when it hits me. It doesn't hurt, but it's annoying as heck. But I don't think it would hurt your 4 year old.

KCPhil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my wife had the Tahoe hands free liftgate close on her a few times (her foot must of accidently triggered it under the car). She would much rather have the hands free function disabled and operate it with the button or fob. Can't find a way to do this.. Any ideas?
I agree. I can never seem to get it to work when I have have my hands full and am trying to trigger it. But it seems to close on me every time I'm trying to load or unload something. I'd just as soon have it off.

KCPhil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yep, mine's turned off too. It's a pain for the wife who now has to manually open/close the liftgate.

I did find some CVN/part numbers for various calibration Not sure if my dealer will know what I'm talkign about though or if these are new or whatever.

Found them here: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

These a are for Controller K39 Liftgate control Module
Part Number 84100439 - CVN 0000BF4D - Description: New calibration to prevent unwanted liftgate activation.
Part Number 23248777 - CVN 00006CB6 - Description: New calibration to improve Hands Free performance.
Part Number 23171818 - CVN 00007290 - Description: Hands Free Vehicle Access
How in the world did you turn that thing off? I've been trying to figure that out. It never works when I want it to, but always seems to close on me when I'm loading/unloading.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How in the world did you turn that thing off? I've been trying to figure that out. It never works when I want it to, but always seems to close on me when I'm loading/unloading.
In the overhead console where the sunroof controls, dome light controls, and homelink buttons are there’s a round dial that’s your liftgate control. It can be set to full operation, 3/4, or off.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still blows my mind that there still isn’t a solution to this problem. I had forgot to turn off the liftgate this afternoon on the 2015 ESV that belongs to my best friends parents. I was doing a ceramic coat detail on it. Had it pulled into the garage but not all the way because stuff was in the way, and the liftgate was near the top of the garage door. Had the glass hatch lifted up blowing all the water out with my blow dryer, and keeping the tail gate shut to not hit, and the movement of the power cord below the bumper triggered the sensor. The tailgate started to raise with the glass hatch open and nearly smashed the glass into the top of the garage door. It probably would have shattered if I hadn’t caught it.....
There has to be a better way... lol

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still blows my mind that there still isn’t a solution to this problem. I had forgot to turn off the liftgate this afternoon on the 2015 ESV that belongs to my best friends parents. I was doing a ceramic coat detail on it. Had it pulled into the garage but not all the way because stuff was in the way, and the liftgate was near the top of the garage door. Had the glass hatch lifted up blowing all the water out with my blow dryer, and keeping the tail gate shut to not hit, and the movement of the power cord below the bumper triggered the sensor. The tailgate started to raise with the glass hatch open and nearly smashed the glass into the top of the garage door. It probably would have shattered if I hadn’t caught it.....
There has to be a better way... lol
I just put the remote on a shelf in the garage, out of range for the locks and tailgate to automatically engage.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the remote on a shelf in the garage, out of range for the locks and tailgate to automatically engage.
I sometimes do that. But then it’s annoying if I need to move it, or when I’m done with cleaning windows, I always roll them down about an inch or so to clean the top of the glass and it won’t turn to accessories because the key isn’t close enough... just annoying.

KCPhil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turning it off from inside turns it into a manual only lift gate.

at 6'3" i get hit every time i load groceries.

was hoping someone would know where to put the tape to blind the sensor.

Usefulness = 1 time Hit in head >20 times
There is a switch in the overhead console that determines whether the tailgate opens all the way or only part way. Part way for shorter people; all the way for taller people. I don't know if that helps or not.

KCPhil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weird, my Tahoe will beep at me and then give a 2 second or so delay before closing when I use it. I also think its perfect for being used to close the tailgate, for instance I use it all the time when I have my hands full of groceries to carry into the house and can't reach up to hit the button on the tailgate to close it.
Mine beeps at me too. But it means I have to jump out of the way or just put my hand up and push it back up before it hits my head. Still not satisfactory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs