How to disable hansdfeee lift gate sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommytuna

Reaction score
my wife had the Tahoe hands free liftgate close on her a few times (her foot must of accidently triggered it under the car). She would much rather have the hands free function disabled and operate it with the button or fob. Can't find a way to do this.. Any ideas?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wife had the Tahoe hands free liftgate close on her a few times (her foot must of accidently triggered it under the car). She would much rather have the hands free function disabled and operate it with the button or fob. Can't find a way to do this.. Any ideas?
How does it work? Is there an optical sensor or something? Maybe just put a small piece of tape over it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctahoe09

Reaction score
Happen to me a few weeks ago.... I was loading some groceries and it started closing on me I had my foot right under the sensor. Now Im just careful not to put my foot close to it when loading stuff in back

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange, as I don't think the Cadillac tailgate will close if it senses someone under it - I get warning blinking lights, and it waits until I move before trying again

Sad if GM really used two different systems here given the safety factor

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
it flashes but starts closing with her under it. She has to stop it with her hand which takes a fair push. Wondering if I can tape over it or something?

Last edited:

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! Me too. Now I leave the key fob in the garage.

It was kinda funny--first time waxing around the rear bumper and I couldn't figure out why the lift gate kept opening and closing!!!

bgsntth

Reaction score
I'm interested in how to disable as well, as I have had the tailgate comedown when I'm working on a surfboard\unloading groceries\ and yes waxing the rear-end, and it is a mad scramble to hit that little button to stop it from coming down on me or my stuff. I'm also worried about my 4 year old activating it when I leave the tailgate up while making multiple trips to unload luggage/groceries. It crushed a soda bottle already, so I'm not comfortable with it around kids.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you turn the knob on the over head console from full to off, does that mean it works manual only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518