How To: Denali/LTZ Rear Bumper Step Pad Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you really don't want to do this. It's a PITA to remove the existing step pad. Just stick with the chrome adhesive strip off ebay.

...unless your OCD. Here's how I did it.

The part number for the GM step pad with chrome trim is 22936467.

Like most things on this truck, it seems GM wants you to remove a bumper. Why, you ask? It's because they attached a wiring harness to the length of the step pad via these tabs.

IMG_4659_zpselftxwgr.jpg

IMG_4658_zpseo362abx.jpg

I quickly realized this was going to be difficult. Plus you can't even reach the tabs behind the receiver hitch.

IMG_4656_zps7vqi2pcf.jpg

IMG_4657_zpsea0xodla.jpg

The most efficient way I found to remove the step pad was to pry the rear part (closest to the hatch opening) up and use a utility knife to cut the push retainers. There's two strips of 3M tape on the left and right side as well. That way I could save the integrity of the step pad for resale.

IMG_4662_zps9y5iimp4.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for the new pad.
IMG_4663_zpsttsnehn7.jpg

IMG_4664_zpsj9msq9bk.jpg

The reason I went with OEM. See the relief in the chrome trim?
IMG_4665_zpsmjux8hnw.jpg

Done. Nice touch I think.
IMG_4666_zps7xn62ini.jpg

Last edited:

lilmac

Reaction score
Been wanting to do this. Two questions: Looks like those clips help hold the step pad down...do they? Also, you just left the harness hanging afterwards?

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three things keep the step pad in place. The back (of the step pad) clips are at an angle, but are flexible. They don't "clip" in, but are more of a guide. 3M tape is on the left and right sides of the pad which keeps it from moving side to side. The clips at the chrome trim side of the pad do clip in, but come out easily once the harness retainers are removed. The two harness retainers at each end of the bumper I was able to remove without cutting, so I put those back. The clearance is so tight, the rest of the harness stays put.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Good job. How long you have the truck? How bad was it?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a part number for those wanting to do this?

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AngelXL - Thanks. I've had it almost three weeks. It was mostly frustrating. I really didn't like having to cut the harness retainers, but I also didn't have it in me to remove the rear bumper.

NathanJax - That might be useful. It's 22936467. I'll add it to the OP as well.

PremiumEdition

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced my step pad with the chrome-trimmed one last week. I did the same thing, removed the end clips which you can reach, then cut the others. I don't think the wiring harness is going to move or hang down, it seems to be in there very tightly. Thanks for the write-up and pics!

ItstheHOFF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years later, thanks for this! I’m in the process of the opposite of what you did, I’m deleting chrome. I just broke the harness tabs, I said screw it. Maybe one day if the bumper comes off I’ll reattach them. Old chrome pad still fully in tact.