How-to: Change the color of your 00-02 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my gauges last night and with the back off nice and bright but with the bases barely twisted, If I twisted them all the way in nothing. So when I put my cluster in they would almost fall out. My stock bases twisted about 1/3rd as far as the new bases. So now they are twisted in barely and I taped them but I have bright and dim spots now. Any one dealt with this? I just don't want to lose my light when driving at night.

I notice this with mine too but not enough to cause a problem. I think the contacts are off just a bit. Maybe try to bend the contacts on the bases to the left or right(can't recall which way they twist) so they make better contact with the back of the cluster.
As far as the dim spots, not sure. Could be the type of leds you got. Got pics of them?

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the exact same bulbs as scottyboy did. The bases contacts are just solder points. Ii could get out the solder iron and add to them but they need to be so straight. And now I am having issues with my vanity lights. I found the right leds but they wont light up at all. Factory bulbs work fine. Just want them done as guys at work want to do this to but wont unless I can get this done. I guess I am their guinea pig.

DefendHawaii

Snake Eater
Reaction score
Just did mine. Had same issue with contacts. Took a little bit to get them seated right so they turned on right. But less then 20.00 total cost. Looks great now.

macs02tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone please help!!!

This is my first post on the forum, and I really hope someone can help. I just did the Incandescent to Blue LED (SMD T10) 194's. I got all of them to light up the guage cluster wonderfully, however, they will only come on when I turn up my dial all the way so my domes come on. If the domes aren't on, neither are the guage lights! This has been incredibly fristrating and I'm not certain what to try next.
I didn't change any wiring, was extremely careful when pulling the originals out, and I put everything back exactly the way it came apart. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum, and I really hope someone can help. I just did the Incandescent to Blue LED (SMD T10) 194's. I got all of them to light up the guage cluster wonderfully, however, they will only come on when I turn up my dial all the way so my domes come on. If the domes aren't on, neither are the guage lights! This has been incredibly fristrating and I'm not certain what to try next.
I didn't change any wiring, was extremely careful when pulling the originals out, and I put everything back exactly the way it came apart. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have only heard of that happening if the headlight switch is bad. It happened to me actually. None of my dash lights would come on unless I had the dimmer knob ALL the way up, so far up that it clicked into position to turn the dome lights on.
After installing a new headlight switch, all was fine.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 mm round leds. I used the 5mm flat top leds because they seem to 'spread' the light better.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can get the round ones and cut the round part off to make them flat. It's been done before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts