How To: Blower Motor Resistor replacement for GMT400s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is for the late model gmt400 trucks. May also work for the 88-94 but not 100% sure if they are configured the same but could be :shrug:

This is to fix the issue of the HVAC controls only working on select fan speeds (if at all). So let's get to the steps and the pics.

1. Clean out glovebox
0k7EVZV.png

2. Remove glove box
gNX6tvp.png

3. Locate the resistor on top near the back.

4. Use a flat blade screwdriver to GENTLY get the connection disconnected from the old resistor
zKMBGTV.png

5. There are two 7mm screws holding the resistor down. Unscrew those. It also helps to swing that relay out of the way that's on the left

6. Work out the old resistor then reverse the process. It's not hard but does take some patience
KfOxb1Z.png

Old vs new
14yOjRc.png

Last edited:

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had to do thy to mine about 2 months back. Really easy actually. I removed my relay which made it easier. Kinda tight in there. The bolts holding it in are 7mm BTW. Don't forget to install the new supplied gasket on the new one before you install it. No to replace the noisey blower motor itself.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I stated 7 mm up in step 5 ;) and I figured the gasket thing was self explanatory lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan