How simple or complicated is it to add an ATF temp gauge to an '02 Z71 gauge cluster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In So Calif, I worked for a while at a performance transmission shop, owned by 'Art Carr' ...
He always suggest his customers NOT to add a transmission temp gauge.
The temp changes will drive you nuts.
Knowing full well that I'd be VERY late to the game, if the ATF temp gauge helps me learn to program the gearing selection and TCC lockup strategy to lower ATF temps, then it'll be a good investment.
Even if it only teaches me to drive more conservatively, it'll be a good investment.

More useful information is always empowering.

No need to make my gauge cluster more colorful.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing full well that I'd be VERY late to the game, if the ATF temp gauge helps me learn to program the gearing selection and TCC lockup strategy to lower ATF temps, then it'll be a good investment.
Even if it only teaches me to drive more conservatively, it'll be a good investment.

More useful information is always empowering.

No need to make my gauge cluster more colorful.
you can always add it in stock format, I have always just customized mine is all

Skynet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM Gauge Repair I had these guys do it on my 2005 Tahoe Z71

This is what I had done

Complete rebuild & add transmission gauge

Repair cracked solder joints
Replace all stepper motors
Add transmission gauge & new overlay
Replace all bulbs

Very happy with the work. Work was done in 2018 and still no issues.

Fomoodie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just read this post.

I would REALLY like to have an ATF temp gauge added to my 2002 Tahoe Z71's cluster (although it's not NEEDED, I prefer not to settle).
I do NOT want to do this myself.

Who'd be so kind as to accept some of my money and do this for me?
Do I need to provide them with my gauge cluster, one from a junkyard, or can I buy it from them?
I did it on my 04 Yukon, bought a new cluster faceplate and 8 new stepper motors (all gauges) there’s a spot to solder tranny temp stepper to board. I think it took 15 mins to change and add steppers and new lamps. Mine didn’t need cluster reprogramed.

rjdjbd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with Fomoodie. I had my 2003 Suburban instrument panel serviced some years back, by a provider on eBay, of which there were many choices at the time. One of the optional choices was to add the transmission temp gauge for a nominal cost but since I don’t tow, I declined. No flashing or reprogramming was required. -Richard

Moosemoon

Reaction score
Get ahold of these people: https://www.fixmygauges.com/. They can explain what they do. They did it to my 05 Z71. You can go thru their site, pick what you want and they send to you. Then you send back your cluster in their provided return packaging and if you do that you get a lifetime warranty. The key is to make sure you have the wiring harness from your transmission to the back of the dash cluster. Typically they were built on the assembly line with the harness supplied and plugged in at the transmission, because so many clusters ended up in other models and trucks that did have the transmission temp gauge and it was less expensive to build ALL harnesses the same and then plug-n-play as needed.
I went to their site - don’t do prior to 2003? Would have thought 99-2007 would be the same?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went to their site - don’t do prior to 2003? Would have thought 99-2007 would be the same?

The 2000-2002 clusters are different from the 2003-2006 clusters. Carl doesn't repair a customer's cluster, at least not directly. He sells them.

His recommended shop for cluster repairs can be found at https://usdashworks.com/product-category/repair/. There's an email address on that site to contact to ask the question about modifying your cluster.

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read this post.

I would REALLY like to have an ATF temp gauge added to my 2002 Tahoe Z71's cluster (although it's not NEEDED, I prefer not to settle).
I do NOT want to do this myself.

Who'd be so kind as to accept some of my money and do this for me?
Do I need to provide them with my gauge cluster, one from a junkyard, or can I buy it from them?
I have an 02 Tahoe that I swapped out the old one for an 02 Escalades cluster with the trans. gauge in it already . Thing was a perfect match. Pretty much just plug and play bro