How much weight does a floor jack need to support a 1999 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmycaps12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I was considering trying to fix my own oil leak but I don't have a jack or jack stands to get under the front end of my Tahoe easily. I'm definitely a noob, but what tonage should the floor jack support? I see the curb weight of the vehicle is between 4500-5200lbs. Most floor jacks I see support 3-4 tons. I imagine a 4 ton jack is fine as you aren't lifting the entire vehicle with one jack. I would be lifting the front with a 4 ton jack and then place 3-6 ton jack stands on the sides.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--1999 Chevy Tahoe

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'll do just fine. Make sure to put the stands on the frame rails near the front because you'll need room by the oil pan area for disassembly.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard floor jacks of a reasonable size are 3, 3.5, 4 ton. You're typically only lifting 1 corner at a time for slipping in a jack stand, so even a 2 ton jack would work, but they're typically smaller and not as widely available as a 3 ton.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for not settling for just "what would work". I'd recommend a 3 ton at minimum. The stronger the jack, the less stressed it will be and the easier it'll be for you when lifting your Tahoe. 3 ton is a very common size. I have a cross beam on my 3T and it'll easily lift one whole side of my Tahoe.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^

Harbor Freight has 3 ton jacks with lift heights over 20" at reasonable prices.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A good combination would be a 3 ton jack with the 19" to 21" lift capability and IMO, I like overkill for jack stands and I would use 6 ton stands at the corners. The heavier weight rating of the stands allows for a higher lift support. Sometimes you do the lifting and setting of stands in stages to keep from severe angles and possible shifting movement of the vehicle on top of the stands. You said you are a "noob", so have an experienced person there to help lift and support the vehicle. Since you will be working at the front area, I would set the stands at the frame just behind the front wheels and you can cradle the rear at the rear axle tube close to the brake backing plates. What oil leak would you be tackling?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use a floor jack for anything I'm going to be under and jackstands just get in the way. Get a good quality set of car ramps. You'll have more room and never worry about anything being suspended or held up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts