How many of you DO NOT experience buffetting and vibration problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spartanator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the dealer called me today after having my car for 3 days and says:

Service Advisor: It's the tires. Yep. It's the tires.
Me: Tires are new. Like 1,500 miles new. What do you mean "It's the tires". That doesn't make any damn sense. And it had the issue before I replaced the tires.
Service Advisor: I've been working on these for a while. It's the 22" wheels.
Me: So it's the 22" STOCK WHEELS and tires that come with the truck that's the problem.
Service Advisor: Yep.
Me: Hangs up.

I swear to God these people make you want to drive through their building. I have a trailer to tow and I prefer a full size SUV since I hate pickup trucks. So maybe it's time to go look at a Navigator. In the meantime, I'm going to fire off an e-mail to GM tonight. I've read replacing the aluminum driveshaft with a steel driveshaft may fix the problem, and I'd be on board with doing that. But I'd hate to sink $1k into it and that doesn't fix the problem.

This is frustrating to say the least. $65k, 19k miles and I can't pass a car on the highway without it feeling completely unsafe to do so.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the dealer called me today after having my car for 3 days and says:

Service Advisor: It's the tires. Yep. It's the tires.
Me: Tires are new. Like 1,500 miles new. What do you mean "It's the tires". That doesn't make any damn sense. And it had the issue before I replaced the tires.
Service Advisor: I've been working on these for a while. It's the 22" wheels.
Me: So it's the 22" STOCK WHEELS and tires that come with the truck that's the problem.
Service Advisor: Yep.
Me: Hangs up.

I swear to God these people make you want to drive through their building. I have a trailer to tow and I prefer a full size SUV since I hate pickup trucks. So maybe it's time to go look at a Navigator. In the meantime, I'm going to fire off an e-mail to GM tonight. I've read replacing the aluminum driveshaft with a steel driveshaft may fix the problem, and I'd be on board with doing that. But I'd hate to sink $1k into it and that doesn't fix the problem.

This is frustrating to say the least. $65k, 19k miles and I can't pass a car on the highway without it feeling completely unsafe to do so.

I understand your pain. I had a Ford F-150 pick up that shook to beat the band. The dealer said it was the tires and replaced them. No luck. Then they tried road force balancing the brand new tires and replaced three of them because they would not balance. They tried shims on the bed and finally replaced the drive shaft and a few other items which reduced but did not totally resolve the issue.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I programmed mine with Edge CS2. Been running on level 3 with the AFM turned off

Get the same mpg, and the Trans is wonderful. How Chevy should have delivered
Thanks, checked out the Edge on their website and looks like a cool product. Unfortunately they don't appear to cover the 2019 with 10sp tranny. I also have the complication of already having a callaway programmed ECM so can't touch that. Kind of stuck.

Spartanator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't heard many (any?) Escalade owners complain about this. Maybe it's because GM doesn't sell nearly as many and people with Escalades don't take road trips the way Yukon and Burb owners do.

AzCoronaDog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my '17 Yukon XL Denali last week, but I bought it from a dealer 175 miles away, so I drove it for several hours over varying roads.
No buffeting that I could detect. No vibrations or other issues either. Maybe I just got lucky.

From what I have read, it seems like the most likely culprit is thin sheet metal in the roof area. Mine has the sunroof, and I wonder it the additional stiffness from the supporting structure makes a difference?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ not really from reading other posts.
some w/ sunroof reported issue.

seems to be more of a mon. vs fri. build , LOL
or more likely a tolerance stacking type issue.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard many (any?) Escalade owners complain about this. Maybe it's because GM doesn't sell nearly as many and people with Escalades don't take road trips the way Yukon and Burb owners do.

I have a 2017 Escalade ESV and take lots of road trips, just like you Suburban Yukon XL owners do, lol, and have had none of these issues, ever, knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Escalade ESV and take lots of road trips, just like you Suburban Yukon XL owners do, lol, and have had none of these issues, ever, knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We replaced our Yukon XL with a Platinum Escalade. No more Chevy shake! I hope you never have the same issues we had. I know one thing. I'll never buy another LWB GM product.

I'm happy with our SWB Escalade.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We replaced our Yukon XL with a Platinum Escalade. No more Chevy shake! I hope you never have the same issues we had. I know one thing. I'll never buy another LWB GM product.

I'm happy with our SWB Escalade.

My Escalade is a Platinum LWB. I'm not sure you're identifying the problem (LWB vs SWB) correctly. Just the fact that its an Escalade you get adjustable MRC and different suspension software, regardless of LWB or SWB.

Spartanator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Escalade is a Platinum LWB. I'm not sure you're identifying the problem (LWB vs SWB) correctly. Just the fact that its an Escalade you get adjustable MRC and different suspension software, regardless of LWB or SWB.

While my analysis is anecdotal, the issue seems to be more prevalent in K2xx trucks and LWB K2xx SUVs. I spoke with a few dealers in my area after my Yukon XL debacle and the two that would talk to me said the same.

Again, anecdotal but worth noting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holzl88