How many miles is to many for a used Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent advise...............

I can't wait to start hitting the auctions here in MD once this stuff is over. I plan buying and selling a ton
Which auction place you use? I’m in northern VA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which auction place you use? I’m in northern VA

A good buddy of mine has a dealer license..........He goes to the Carmax auctions and has some agreements with several dealerships in the Rockville / Silverspring area. I'm up by Ft Meade/Annapolis are

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good buddy of mine has a dealer license..........He goes to the Carmax auctions and has some agreements with several dealerships in the Rockville / Silverspring area. I'm up by Ft Meade/Annapolis are
Good deal.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP

I’ve got a ‘15 Yukon Denali XL w 6.2 and 8 speed. Coming up on 95K miles. Granted it’s a late model ‘15.

Its been good to me so far and I’ve had no more “typical” issues than the next guy with a ‘16-‘19 Yukon Denali. Kept up on all maintenance and fluids at “severe” scheduled intervals. That’s what I usually do regardless if my driving is “severe”; Mostly highway miles.

I realize my vehicle is different than what you’re looking at, but it’s till the first model year and I’d gladly buy another.

As far as how many miles is too much for a used one? I think that really comes down to how many miles are YOU comfortable with purchasing used. That my friend is only a question you can answer for yourself.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snopro- I would not be afraid but several things:

1-On a used vehicle take it on a test drive for both city and highway.

2-Some people talk about a flutter or boom issue that has to do with air pressure in the cabin at highway speed. Its a hit or miss thing.
3- Bargain hard- if they ask for 28k offer 25k etc...

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
69k on a '15 is not high miles.

there is no real diff on '15 thru '20 ... outside of driveline offerings.

& GM never really fixed any of the issues...they all have opportunity to have buffeting*
so they either have it or they dont.

*you'll notice on test drive, if its there.
make sure to try as many road types as possible & speeds btwn 25-75 (or so)

good idea to bring some other folks w/ you. as some have more sensitive ears than others.

given the 2nd owner had it so long, doubtful it has it.

definitely double check the maintenance history on it.

Barney FLint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are still looking for a reasonably priced 2017 LTZ or Denali that is not a rust bucket. We found one last year that looked great. Under the hood was clean. The frame however, told a totally different story. Lots of deep rust in the 50K miles so, either lots of beach time or road salt, either way, we did not even drive it. Looked at one on the web last week. Our color outside and inside. Carafax showed two owners. The first owner had it for three years and put however many miles, not that many as I recall. The second owner however, only had the vehicle for 500 miles. Maybe he defaulted on the purchase or maybe he discovered why the first owner sold it. Price was really good (low trade level, first flag).

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles is too many for a Tahoe? I sold my first one ('97) with 373K. Wish I had it back.

Got a 2009 with about 230K. The only real problems were the dash cracking and a couple of sensors.

Just picked up a '16 Tahoe with 78K and it drives better than the others.

Got a '14 Silverado company truck with 175K, which I also like. Check engine light just came on this week, but other than that, the only real problem it's had was a bad A/C condenser. It still has the original brakes!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my first one ('97) with 373K. Wish I had it back.

Got a 2009 with about 230K. The only real problems were the dash cracking and a couple of sensors.

That’s awesome! What are your secrets?

I held onto my Trailblazer SS for 198K miles then it needed it’s 3rd trans and at those miles I figured it was time to part ways. So far have 94K on my ‘15 Denali XL and the wife’s ‘13 ESV has 82K. Would love to get 250K+ out of both of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy