How many miles is “too many” when buying used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski_rush

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a used Suburban. One in particular is a 2012 LTZ, but it has 212,000 miles. It seems well taken care of and there are service records (all routine maintenance things). The dealer is asking $9000.

Is 200k miles too much of a gamble to make this a sensible purchase? I’ve read that the 5.3 can have some longevity if it’s taken care of, but what about the transmission?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a used Suburban. One in particular is a 2012 LTZ, but it has 212,000 miles. It seems well taken care of and there are service records (all routine maintenance things). The dealer is asking $9000.

Is 200k miles too much of a gamble to make this a sensible purchase? I’ve read that the 5.3 can have some longevity if it’s taken care of, but what about the transmission?
I bought a 2007 Yukon XL Denali in December of 2018 for $9500 with 196K on the clock. 40K miles later and it's been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I've driven it from Colorado to Montana, to Cape Cod, to Florida, to Nashville - and it's been 100% reliable.

Take a close look at the maintenance history. At that mileage, it will likely need front suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc), and a handful of other things if they haven't been done already. The transmission has likely already been replaced but if not, at least plan on putting a new billet torque converter in it right away. The TC usually fails long before 212K and takes the transmission with it, but if it hasn't happened yet, you're on borrowed time.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 11.5 about 6 months ago for my 2012 with 202k. (too much, was desperate) No major repairs in carfax, just oil changes. (1 tranny fluid change) Had it about 6 months now. Pulleys and alt bearings going, slight oil leak (cooler port on oilpan I think, just replaced gasket and need to check on it) Front wheel bearings going. (got new ones to put in this weekend) Time to replace all fluids too.. Roof antenna has usual split gasket in back, driver floor got wet after some rains and a carwash..

Adds up, but nothing I wasn't expecting.

AND I need a new windshield it's pitted to heck, didn't notice when I test drove it. Notice it every morning now!

I like the transmission.. but plan to tweak shift points, it shifts into 2nd mid left turn, bogs coming out. Tow mode has better shift points. I hear about weak parts in the transmission, but it sounds like they can be rebuilt with good parts.

Reliable so far, but spent more money (hptuners and autosync with BCM tuning) to tweak some things that really bugged me.

So it's a money pit, like every car I ever had!

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Scary AFM problems on the 2007 and newer rigs, IMO. I bought my 2005 Z71 with 135k miles on it, for $8k. I love this rig. I did road test 2007
Wait! You don't like..

Flimsy cracked door pulls, flimsy cracked dash pad, having to subscribe to reprogram modules, AFM disable/delete and new torque converter/tranny rebuild?

Dealerships don't seem to want to work on the 'older' (new to me!) stuff. Tried to get BCM reprogrammed to undo auto doorlocks. None could/would do it even though it was a factory update. (Thank goodness for BT Dieselworks!)

With the number of them on the road, aftermarket will keep them running.
Though I will never buy a newer GM. We have a joke in my household, GM stands for Government Mandate.

Yet I still love my truck.. along with every vehicle I ever had.. except front wheel drives..

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
212,000 on a '12 is around 18,000/yr average. Used to be 15,000 was 'normal' but that's probably gone up a bit. I guess it's the type of miles. Commuter miles may not be as bad a hard recreational miles towing a large boat or RV.

I just bought a '98 with 195K for $4K, but I can't say yet if it was a good buy or not. Still shaking it down to see what falls out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

really hard to say usually 160k is when people dump vehicles because if they haven't maintained them well then several things start to go all at once and they don't want to spend the money repairing it so off it goes, being you are past that it's likely some of that necessary maintenance was done already but be prepared to put some tlc in to it just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd