How involved swap out AWD to manual 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcdata

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 denali and looking to swap out the transmission, 4l65e, and transfer case, bw4481, to 4l80e and possibly 261HD or 263HD. I understand for the 261, I am going to need the shifter cable and a shifter. However, if i look at the 263HD, I'll need the harness, panel, and possibly a reprogrammed TCCM from the vehicle i got the transfer case, is this correct?

Anyone experience doing this? I currently have the 4L80E, crossmember, and driveshaft from an 02 Suburban.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably more time, money and trouble than what it's worth unless it's cherry and only 50k miles, sell it and go buy a 4x4.

not sure if the 02 stuff will even work they made changes in 03, so the 00-02 stuff mostly does not work on the 03-06

just being honest with you it's a lot of work to do, not impossible

if you are really set on doing it you may have to do a lot of googling it's not something many people have done, additionally the platform is older so it's possible any info out there is going to be limited and/or the people that may have done it have moved on

there was one guy on here recently who removed the auto 4x4 and went to a manual switch like the work trucks, maybe he has some insight. poke around

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you the only mechanical part you need to change is the differential, the gear inside is different and the 4x4 diff will have the actuator to engage it instead
the rest is going to be wring, switch and software.
**gearing has to match i.e 3.08, 3.42, 3.73 etc

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I debated doing that to my Escalade when I swapped in the 4l80e. The 263 uses it's own control module that you'll have to connect to the PCM, so grab that and he wiring harness from the truck you source the 4l80e/263 from.

ricksnachez20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can tell you the only mechanical part you need to change is the differential, the gear inside is different and the 4x4 diff will have the actuator to engage it instead
the rest is going to be wring, switch and software.
**gearing has to match i.e 3.08, 3.42, 3.73 etc
I mean technically in the 03 and down you should be able to swap in a np261 correct? It's only got a speed sensor, running a shifter and what not isn't that hard to do alot Easier then electrical. And you can easily swap to 2wd with no programming or anything, so shouldn't the np261 or a (manual gm t-case being that there are a few models? Any else can chime in that would be nice wanting to go manual swap only

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17