How Google will cash in on your commute - WHat data is being reported

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work for a fleet trucking company. In April 2018 All Commercial Vehicles were REQUIRED to have ELD's (electronic logging devices) by the Federal Government. No more Paper Log Books for Truckers. It just came out this week that many large trucking companies are Selling their Drivers Data to Big Tech companies. Drivers are pissed. These tech companies know when you log in, start your shift, when and where you stop, and when you go home, every work day. And newer Commercial trucks log EVERYTHING! There are close to 100 modules in the newer trucks that record every little thing. They know if your seat belt is buckled, how hard you use the brakes, how hard you accelerate, if you are using the cruise control, going over the speed limit, make a turn too tight, even when and if you use your turn signal, wipers, heater or A/C.

There are steering angle sensors, hard braking event sensors, roll control sensors, accelerometers, and gps tells the computer if your are climbing a grade or descending a hill in conjunction with inclineometers seat belt sensors (you know when the vehicle beeps if you don't buckle up, well that's tied into the body control module). The computers record RPM, MPH, Engine Temp, Oil pressure and temp, turbo boost, gear selection, trans temp, axles temp, all fluid levels, wheel speed sensors, traction control, and brake air pressure. You name it, the new trucks record it. And I wont get started on the front facing (watching the road ahead), and REAR facing camera's that watch the drivers face and hands, with audio recording, and video snapshots of the driver and cab when an event is triggered, or when management (and now tech companies) feel like watching you as you drive down the highway.

We had a dozen or so drivers quit, (old-timers that were the best drivers we had) when the ELD's were first required by the U.S. DOT last year. But we had 48 drivers quit when the Rear Facing Cameras were first installed last December. Not all trucking companies do this, and it is not a requirement. We have since disabled or removed the rear facing cameras, since drivers were putting tape over the cameras anyways. A few got fired at first for taping over the camera lens, but we could not afford to lose any more drivers.

The Federal Government has removed ALL leeway for drivers with the new regulations. They can't stop to take piss on the side of the road without logging it on their ELD's. No more breaks at the favorite diner for some decent food. If they are 15 miles from their pick-up or delivery point and they run out of hours, they are DONE! They must stop and take their Federally REQUIRED 10 hour off-duty / sleeper break and lose a whole days pay. If they don't, they can be terminated for cause, or the next scale-house they get pulled into can fine them $500-$1000 and shut them down for 10 hours, plus the company can be fined in addition to the driver during a Bi-annual Audit.

The ELD's know when you stop for fuel, it must be logged. You must stop for a 1/2 break before or at 8 hours of driving time, even if you don't want a 1/2 hour break, sitting on the side of some desolate highway because your timer said you could not make it to the next truck stop to get a greasy hot dog and bag of doritos for dinner, the same dinner you had the day before. Many drivers are forced to do this because you want to make your fuel stop and your 1/2 break at the same stop, because 2 or 3 off-ramps and on-ramps takes time off of your timer, and you are losing money every time you stop.

No more tearing a page out of your logbook, and just re-doing it to be compliant for the next scale-house officer. No more re-doing your paper log book because you spent 4 hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic averaging $1.50 an hour. No more backing up your log book because you stopped at Denny's to get a real meal a couple of times a week. Or spent an hour grabbing a shower, and talking to another trucker for 20 minutes, because you haven't talked to a real person in 4 days.

And now they are selling our truckers information to big tech companies? "If your not doing anything wrong who cares" ??

That's not the point, we are American's, we have "The right of the People to be secure in our Persons, Houses, Papers, and Effects, against unreasonable Searches and Seizures". Well, many of us still believe this is an unreasonable search and seizure of our information, our privacy, and our Freedom. And personally knowing dozens of truck drivers, I know that they are a freedom loving, and privacy respecting segment of our Society, that's why they do this unforgiving job. Being scrutinized by Law Enforcement every day. Fighting Wind, Snow, Ice, and car drivers that are texting, stoned, or otherwise impaired. Endless road construction, bumper to bumper traffic for hours on end, and the new generation of drivers that believe that "adaptive cruise" is so they can dick around with their phone while driving on the Highway.

Truckers now are not only being tracked by the Feds and their employers, but by unknown entities, for unknown reasons, and I am strictly against it. Unfortunately we crossed that bridge a long time ago and there is no going back.
having personally been in a accident with a commercial driven truck and witnessing the driver hurrying to "fix" his logbook to save his ass makes me think this is a good thing.

Sean James

Reaction score
having personally been in a accident with a commercial driven truck and witnessing the driver hurrying to "fix" his logbook to save his ass makes me think this is a good thing.

Yea, I guess it probably is better to have a bunch of people in offices watching your every move now days, the younger drivers didn't grow up driving the way the old timers did. And now 20-30% of Truck Drivers are from Foreign Countries, their heritage is riding a Burro pulling a fruit cart behind them. Back in the 80's and 90's, there wasn't much traffic on the interstate highways, every trucker was running a CB radio, and most grew up driving muscle cars from the 1970's. And today, even in the most rural areas of the Nation, it can be crowded with cars and Big Trucks. Our Nation has exponentially grown so fast, that we have had to add millions of more trucks to supply our Cities with Food and Supplies.

Driving a truck is one of the worst jobs in our Nation, and has the highest turnover rate of ANY industry. New drivers are not used to sitting in an uncomfortable chair for 11 hours straight, not talking to another person for days or weeks at a time, being completely bored for hours at a time, only to have a sudden adrenaline rush, a fight or flight episode, and sudden terror attack from a Deer or Elk running in front of them, or Sliding on Ice driving an 80,000 lb. vehicle, or a car driver suddenly cutting them off or slamming on their brakes in front of them to get to their off / on ramp.

This is why most truck drivers are anti-social, the dregs of society, dislike other people, and cannot find any other job. Trucking companies will unfortunately hire anyone at this point. As long as they can pass a drug test, hold onto a steering wheel, comply with Federal health regulations, and have an IQ above 40...you are hired.

But also, most Truck Drivers learn pretty quick. The last Department of Transportation Statistics (2016) listed Commercial Truck Drivers involved in 3,000 Fatal Collisions in the U.S. As compared to 55,000 Fatal Collisions involving Passenger Cars and Trucks. Of course, that is not adjusted for percentages. But Truck Drivers and Construction Workers both jockey for the most deadly professions in our Nation year to year.

I do know that without them, our Nation would turn to Anarchy. The amount of food, fuel, and goods transported across our Nation today is mind-boggling! Up until the 1980's many goods were local, and transported locally. Not so anymore, just look at how you can buy an item on ebay from New York, and have it at your door in L.A. in 3 days...amazing.

Sorry to hear you had a run in with a moron, but his logbook more than likely had nothing to do with it, he just had to cover his ass to feed his family. Please remember these guys making .40 cents a mile at 5mph in big city freeways during rush hours. They are earning $2.00 an hour, and they now have to pay $1200 a month for Obamacare with a family of four. No wonder intelligent people quit after a month or two of doing this job.

Sean James

Reaction score
Darn, does this truck make my butt look big? Is the DMV going to raise my registration fee if I gain a few pounds? I warmed up my car too long and got a summons in the mail! How did they know I was eating a Big Mac while driving? I don't have the money for the "burger fine", can I make payments? I have to attend "anger management" classes for cursing out the guy that cut me off! Country Music is considered "Distracted Driving"? My neighbor said I drove too fast past his house, so they came to my house and took my truck because of the new "red flag" laws. Where can a buy a "dog seat"? Where does this end?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The national news just had a report on this a couple nights ago and they were talking about how regulation hasn’t caught up to technology so it’s up to the car manufacturers to regulate themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401