How do you guys like the 15-20's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2016 Suburban LS with 5.3, cloth, Max trailer package, smooth ride air shocks, 20" wheels with 61k miles. Dealer wants $39k. I test drove it today, first time in this model year. I've driven a rental 2008 Tahoe, and this is more powerful. Smooth with positive feeling shifts like mine. Do these have the AFM and are they still burning oil and wearing out rockers? Any issues I should look out for? thanks.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the way they look but the quality is very lacking. Which is better than how I feel about the T1 trucks which is they're very ugly and the quality is very lacking. If you are definitely going to buy a K2, don't buy a 15 or a 16. Buy at least a 17 but an 18+ is really the way to go. Drive a 15/16 and then drive an 18, they feel very different.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 15 Yukon with the 6.2. I definitely don’t think it’s sluggish but I also haven’t driven anything newer to compare. Also haven’t driven the 5.3 in this year. I had a 2000 5.3 and definitely a big big improvement.

However like said before buying the 1st year production is never the best idea but I haven’t had any problems yet except my starter went

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was happy with my 17 and really like my 19. Other than repeated issues with the brake booster, my 19 Suburban has been pretty good. I currently have a reservation for an F150 Lightning because it checked the boxes of what I would need in a pick up That the Suburban cannot provide - namely a place to haul dirty items while also providing a good sized secured storage area. I am torn about whether to keep the Suburban and cancel the reservation for the Lightning or make the jump to a BEV pick up. The other thing is I no longer have three kids that I need to get back and forth to college and I have a station wagon that I really like a lot.

I also plan to make a reservation for the Silverado EV just to hedge my bets.

Xsbank

Reaction score
Electric cars are the Betamax of this decade, the Lightning is very cool but I believe that every EV bought this year will be in the landfill in 10 years because the battery costs more than the whole car.

Having tossed that rock in your pond, I have a 2020 Denali and I love it! I haven’t had it long enough for anything to break. I came from a 2021 Ford Exploder that was very shoddy, the dealer was clueless and I traded it for my Yukon. It’s comfortable, quiet, great in snow and simple, easy to drive. I love the HUD, reminds me of something I flew. And it really goes if you want. It does, however, love 94 octane.

I can’t think of another vehicle I’ve owned that I like more.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric cars are the Betamax of this decade, the Lightning is very cool but I believe that every EV bought this year will be in the landfill in 10 years because the battery costs more than the whole car.

Having tossed that rock in your pond, I have a 2020 Denali and I love it! I haven’t had it long enough for anything to break. I came from a 2021 Ford Exploder that was very shoddy, the dealer was clueless and I traded it for my Yukon. It’s comfortable, quiet, great in snow and simple, easy to drive. I love the HUD, reminds me of something I flew. And it really goes if you want. It does, however, love 94 octane.

I can’t think of another vehicle I’ve owned that I like more.
I’m not so sure. OEMs are being forced into electric and other alternative fuel power trains by regulators in other countries. Several OEMs have announced that they will be totally electrified by 2030 while others have indicated that they will have a substantial portion of their fleet electrified. The bottom line is that China and the EU and Great Britain are all pushing ahead.

As far as battery costs, I believe that they will come down in price as we get to the out years. Hybrid batteries now cost a few thousand to a max of $6K to replace if out of the 8 year 100K mile warranty. This is far cheaper than when I bought my first hybrid 11 years ago. That car required a battery replacement out the gate and the warranty cost was almost $9K.

As I said above, I am not sure what I am ultimately going to do. I like my Suburban a lot. I just don‘t know if I want to replace it with a Lightning or a Silverado EV. And as far as tossing a rock in my pond, I don’t think so. You have your opinion and I respect that. You also provide a potentially valid point regarding cost and what the life expectancy will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts