How do I remove the Torsion bar '98 Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redwing4900

Reaction score
Hello everyone I began to replace my upper and lower control arms yesterday but couldn’t finish the job because the torsion bar would not release. Frankly I can’t see how it will ever let go. I heated with a torch and banged on it with a sledge because that’s what the cave man inside told me to do and I was tired after many hours. But now that I had time to think about yesterday’s action I’m thinking the heating only swelled the torsion bar and made it worse. Is this true?
I also had to cut one of the bolts for the lower control arm. I have searched this site and the internet for any advice But haven’t found any but if someone has dealt with this issue or can link me to another helpful article that would be much appreciated.
As for the bolt is that dealer only? Thank you

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have better luck posting this in the OBS section.

Did you get the torsion bar unloader tool and release the tension? Based on your description it sounds like no... They dont just slip out when the front suspension is in the air.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My inner cave man had me hack the cross member into pieces so the bar would fall out. But that was for a coilover conversion so I don't suggest doing that :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I loosened the tension from the torsion key so the torsion bar is hanging freely and the whole unit turns (control arm and bar). I did not use the tool to unload the tension because I didn’t know it existed and I also watched a couple of videos where it was not used. Do you think it would help to hold it steady? I can only see that outcome from using it. I am turning the control arm out of the way of the frame brackets and hitting with The sledge. From what I’ve read I may have to replace the torsion bars because I used the heat, so I’m prepared to do that. Basically Im just trying to finish the job at this point.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I loosened the tension from the torsion key so the torsion bar is hanging freely and the whole unit turns (control arm and bar). I did not use the tool to unload the tension because I didn’t know it existed and I also watched a couple of videos where it was not used. Do you think it would help to hold it steady? I can only see that outcome from using it. I am turning the control arm out of the way of the frame brackets and hitting with The sledge. From what I’ve read I may have to replace the torsion bars because I used the heat, so I’m prepared to do that. Basically Im just trying to finish the job at this point.

A little heat won't weld the bar to the control arm and heat does not make steel grow permanently. I don't know where you read that, but it sounds ridiculous to me.

So you have removed the bolt from the crossmember, the piece that it threads in to, and the key so that the torsion bar can move towards the rear of the vehicle? I do not see how that would be possible without the tool, but I dont have experience with an obs.

There are only two things that could be causing your issue. Either you have not taken all of the tension off of the bar or it is rusted in place. Mine had no issue sliding out when I leveled my truck, but it has always been in NC and is not rusted at all..

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
I didn’t mean that it would weld itself to the bar that IS ridiculous. I meant that I was fighting myself by heating it up and thereby expanding the sleeve it was sitting in and then trying to whack it out.
Also I can’t move the lower control arm towards the back of the vehicle you’re right again that would be physically impossible with the torsion bar attached.
What I meant was that I have to rotate the control arm and attached torsion bar outward so that when I whack it with the sledge that It doesn’t get caught Up by the control arm mounts. It has moved about 1/4 inch for the first 100-200 hits. I’m about to get my daily exercise and swing the sledge some more.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t mean that it would weld itself to the bar that IS ridiculous. I meant that I was fighting myself by heating it up and thereby expanding the sleeve it was sitting in and then trying to whack it out.
Also I can’t move the lower control arm towards the back of the vehicle you’re right again that would be physically impossible with the torsion bar attached.
What I meant was that I have to rotate the control arm and attached torsion bar outward so that when I whack it with the sledge that It doesn’t get caught Up by the control arm mounts. It has moved about 1/4 inch for the first 100-200 hits. I’m about to get my daily exercise and swing the sledge some more.
I never said move the control arm towards the rear. The torsion bar slides out of the control arm towards the rear so that you can pull the bolts and take the control arm out through the fender well...

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
So you’re saying to remove the support beam at the rear where the key is and Then push it back At that point to remove the Torsion bar from the Control arm? Because The way I have It now is that the bolts Are out of the control arm and So put them back in and work on loosening up where the key Adjustment is made? I was swinging the sledge forward hitting the control arm. Wrong huh?

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you’re saying to remove the support beam at the rear where the key is and Then push it back At that point to remove the Torsion bar from the Control arm? Because The way I have It now is that the bolts Are out of the control arm and So put them back in and work on loosening up where the key Adjustment is made? I was swinging the sledge forward hitting the control arm. Wrong huh?

Dont remove the whole crossmember, but yes. Go rent an unloader tool from an auto parts store to loosen and remove the keys. Then the bars will slide backwards out of the control arms very easily and you can remove the control arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan