How do I KNOW what drive mode I'm in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owner's manual says there should be an indicator light on the 2W/4D switch panel. I don't see one. I opened it up and see lamps, but there is a mix of LED and Incandescent. I'm guessing the Incandescents are illumination/backlighting and the LEDs are the indicators. But if they don't work to show drive mode, where is the problem?

No, I haven't tried to change to 4W yet. Remember, I've only had this a coupe of weeks. I kind of don't want to try it if there might be a problem.

Main questions being ...

If there are no indicators, how do I know which mode it's in?
If there are no indicators, is something else not working?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the button indicator lights should come on briefly when you first turn the key. Did you see any cracks in the solder on the board?

Press down along the perimeter of the switch bezel and see if they light up. For me, remelting the solder fixed it. I don’t remember what type of bulbs were in there, though.

IMG_5073.jpeg

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I got back from town, I made a short trip down this narrow country road. Pushed 4 Hi and 2 Hi a few times. It sounds different and seems to feel a bit different, but no indicators of any kind.

Junkyard didn't have a switch.

Still at a loss .... switch? Or whatever tells the switch to light?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Park and push the buttons. You should hear the transfer case activation motor working.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally go to this. Couple of days ago, I was doing something and noticed one the the LEDs on the switch blink briefly. Pulled it apart today and there was one solder joint that looked questionable. Touched them all up (the ones I could get to) and snapped it back in place. On key turn all five LEDs come on for lamp test, then only the one for 2Hi.

I'll try 4 when I drive it again, but it appears to be OK now. Still might replace it due to the 'Auto' button with the broken face and no backlights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts