How Can I Soften Suspension on PPV Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which shocks Belltechs or anything have the smoothest ride but at PPV or Civilian height?

The XFE model Tahoes and Yukons have the same ride height as the PPV/SSV, all were RWD. They have basic suspension but ride is smoother obviously.

Biggest affect on PPV ride is wheels and tires.

STANKHOE

Reaction score
All of this info is so confusing. Some people say front PPV springs are different from civilian, and others say they are the same and difference is the struts. I just bought a 2013 PPV. I want to stay at the same height but have a softer, smoother ride. What would be my best combo? I'm thinking stock front springs (depending upon whether the PPV or civilian are really the same) with Bilstein 4600 front struts and then use the Belltech drop spindles to get a 1" or 2" drop up front, and then the Bilstein 3" rear lowering springs and shocks. Can you guys let me know what you think and what the truth is about the front PPV springs?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From GM Press Room:

"The 2WD Chevrolet Tahoe PPV has a number of features that sets it apart from its civilian counterpart. Tahoe PPV is lower to the ground, delivering improved handling, especially at high speeds. The front and rear suspensions feature stiffer springs and shocks, and there’s also a stiffer jounce bumper that is more ideally suited for police loads."

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/tahoe_ppv/2012.html

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of this info is so confusing. Some people say front PPV springs are different from civilian, and others say they are the same and difference is the struts. I just bought a 2013 PPV. I want to stay at the same height but have a softer, smoother ride. What would be my best combo? I'm thinking stock front springs (depending upon whether the PPV or civilian are really the same) with Bilstein 4600 front struts and then use the Belltech drop spindles to get a 1" or 2" drop up front, and then the Bilstein 3" rear lowering springs and shocks. Can you guys let me know what you think and what the truth is about the front PPV springs?

Run your VIN here and have a look at what you have and then at the options available. Read post #51 again.

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may have replied to a few threads with confusing information, as the PPV springs are definitely more stiff.......but the ride height is the same.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been searching long and hard to find the spring rate of the PPV springs

kevlac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2010 PPV (EX-Police) Chevy Tahoe and would like to soften the suspension because it has a very harsh and has a stiff ride.
I would like to make my ride quality like a 100% stock Tahoe and would like to know what needs to be replaced/changed to do so.

Please let me know if you know anything about it..

Thanks
Hello. I know this thread is getting old, but I am wondering what you ended up doing and what were your results. I want to soften the ride on my 2014 PPV a bit, too.

Like the O/P, I like the stance of the PPV. I definitely don't want to lower it. I don't mind if it ends up sitting a little higher. I just want it to keep it simple and ride smoother.

There are so many suspension threads! It sounds like I can leave the PPV springs alone and simply use OEM Tahoe LS shocks/struts. Is that correct? Even better, it sounds like I can use Bilstein 4600's for a Tahoe LS instead of the OEM stuff, right?

In regards to the springs, how do you know when they need replacement? How long do springs last? If the shop I use indicates I need new springs, should I have them use the PPV springs with the shocks I mentioned above (OEMs or 4600s for a LS) or the springs for a Tahoe LS?

Thanks in advance everyone. And, yes, you are correct, I have no mechanical skills. :)

cj6913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m in same boat. Don’t wanna change stance of vehicle cuz it looks mean, BUUUUT, as any of our metro Detroit folks can attest, some roads around here you run into the danger of losing a filling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons