Hot wheels and burning smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got new brakes last week. Every time I finish my commute, I smell burning rubber from both rear wheels. The actual wheels will burn you if you touch them. I don't smell anything in the front, but wheels are also very hot. I'm thinking ebrake is somehow slightly engaged? Any thoughts before I start poking around?
Thanks

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure your wheels are correctly seated onto the hub too. If there is any play it will cause serious friction and heat.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sticky calipers, not cleaned or lube properly, put together wrong. Take it back to who did them and have them correct it. When brakes are done properly there shouldn't be that much heat after a commute unless your riding your brakes the entire time. Your e brake could be hanging up or miss-adjusted but it wouldn't take long for it wear to the point of not functioning.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped it off this morning. Had the ebrake replaced and serviced a couple weeks ago, maybe they didn't adjust it correctly. Waiting impatiently, hate not having my truck.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic said he adjusted the ebrake. He thinks it was slightly engaged. He said everything looks fine including my new rear brakes and resurfaced rotors that he installed 400 miles ago. Hope he is correct

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing could be a clog or air pocket in the line. Another thing could be if your calipers were not compressed but they are rubbing the pads.. Well scratch that wouldn't count 400 miles later. Most likely it's a line issue distributing the oil pressure.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Rust in caliper can cause the pads bind in brackets also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts