Horrible noises and ride, HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DaveLaz

DaveLaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well hate to tell you but shocks are important to ride quality. The Bilsteins you need are the 4600’s. The rest of my answer stands as well. I mean, you came here asking for help, correct?

Correct and I 100% appreciate all the help so far! I just know for a fact that the ride I’m experiencing is not due to the shocks I have. Once I figure out the issue I will most definitely look into Bilsteins. Let me put it to you this way, I have a fully built Miata set up for the track and if I drove that thing on rocky terrain it would feel like a Cadillac compared to my Yukon at the moment lol

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveLaz- Could you post a pic of that Torsion bar fit? And a few more questions since it seemed like everyone focused on shocks, which aint it if it drives as poorly as you describe.
Were the Control arms torqued while at ride height? Do you have a panhard bar? Have you tried with it disconnected? If your Sway bar links are loose they will rattle or may clunk a little. Any Gaps at Control arm mounts? As in room to move. Mounts tight front and rear?(8) Have you tried a pry bar test to see whats moving?
Report your findings, I'll watch.

OP
OP
DaveLaz

DaveLaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DaveLaz- Could you post a pic of that Torsion bar fit? And a few more questions since it seemed like everyone focused on shocks, which aint it if it drives as poorly as you describe.
Were the Control arms torqued while at ride height? Do you have a panhard bar? Have you tried with it disconnected? If your Sway bar links are loose they will rattle or may clunk a little. Any Gaps at Control arm mounts? As in room to move. Mounts tight front and rear?(8) Have you tried a pry bar test to see whats moving?
Report your findings, I'll watch.

Yup I’ll post a pic below. Great questions!

-Everything was torqued down when set down on the floor. I did this multiple times including even driving slowly around the block and pulling back in and torquing everything.
-I do not have a pan hard bar. That was next in the plans after I finishing lowering it.
-I completely removed the sway bar end links to rule out that being an issue with noises/ride.
-I actually did notice some room on the LCA mounts yesterday so hmmmm
-I’ve wiggled and pried all over the place which is how I found out I needed torsion crossmember mounts. Got those installed and it did nothing :(
-I ordered new ball joints for the LCAs and I’ll be pressing them into my original control arms when they come in. Ill then install the OEM ones and re-index the torsion bars. Then I’ll grease the sway bar D mounts and reattach the end links
-Any other suggestions to check on or adjust when I go back under?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I think it is pretty obvious what the issue is from that picture.

You should NOT be able to see light through the torsion bar hole. They should be a good tight fit without any slop or play.

Did you order control arms for a 2500 by chance???

Just thinking out loud.
Mines out in the rain right now... but I’m pretty sure mine and most I’ve seen are similar to Dave’s

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Mines out in the rain right now... but I’m pretty sure mine and most I’ve seen are similar to Dave’s

That is the first time I have seen one like that and I have been playing with torsion bars since back in the square body 4x4 S-10 days.

I have seen them so tight that you had to beat them out with a sledgehammer.

What would be the point in having such a sloppy fit/tolerance???

OP
OP
DaveLaz

DaveLaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I saw a different thread about this and I was just unsure. I’d love if someone could confirm with a picture from their own truck

OP
OP
DaveLaz

DaveLaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is the first time I have seen one like that and I have been playing with torsion bars since back in the square body 4x4 S-10 days.

On the torsion key end it was like that and had to get heated up and beat out. I just can’t remember how snug/loose it was in the OEM control arms when I removed them

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score

5158C13C-8654-4C0F-8EC2-7533CABFB61E.jpeg
here’s mine as it sits
Right or wrong it doesn’t make noise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17