Homelink Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the my garage door opener and cannot get my new opener to pair with the Homelink in my truck. I erased the old opener by pressing and holding the 2 outer buttons until I got the quick flashing light. Then pressed the garage door opener button and one of the Homelink buttons at the same time. I'm holding the opener about 2" away from the Homelink button. The Homelink light flashes slowly, then goes out after about 2 minutes. I've tried pairing it with to all three buttons and did the erase code procedure between each attempt with no success

I even tried the rolling code procedure when you press the training button on the opener then press the home link button until you get the quick flashing light which I never get

I had no problem pairing it in the past and was able to pair the new opener with my wife's Sienna and daughters Highlander on the first attempts.

Looking for any tips or tricks to get pair up the new opener

Thanks

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Your homelink isn't compatible with the new standard assuming you got a new opener. You'll need the adapter for it which isn't super reliable and kind of sucks.

OP
OP
Danny3737

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your homelink isn't compatible with the new standard assuming you got a new opener. You'll need the adapter for it which isn't super reliable and kind of sucks.[/QUOTE

That's a bummer. Odd that my Highlander which is a year older was able to pair with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Danny3737

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way too many bad reviews on the Homelink bridge. I think I'll just crack open the opener and wire up a momentary switch that I can hide under the dash or in the console. Who knows, I may figure out a way to tie it into the old Homelink button. With the new opener, I can open my garage from a block away now, I couldn't do that with the Homelink.

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Way too many bad reviews on the Homelink bridge. I think I'll just crack open the opener and wire up a momentary switch that I can hide under the dash or in the console. Who knows, I may figure out a way to tie it into the old Homelink button. With the new opener, I can open my garage from a block away now, I couldn't do that with the Homelink.
It'll work better than the Homelink bridge for sure but it's not been as bad as the reviews say for me. That said, it doesn't always work either but it's not the end of the world for me.

OP
OP
Danny3737

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided not to spend $40 for the Homelink Bridge. After watching a few YouTube videos, I went to Home Depot and bought a $3.50 momentary switch and wired it to the opener. I hid the switch behind the overhead console. The range is much better than I had with the Homelink system. Anytime I need to change the battery, I just have to pull down the console.
IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0680.JPG

1beershortofsixer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Folks had garage door replaced. Did not replace opener. Had same problem. Turn out turns out their Tahoe 2013 had the "LEAR" system, not home link. You tube video shows how to program. If you have three buttons with small green indicator light above each button, you have a LEAR. Little house imprint it's Home Link..may help?

OP
OP
Danny3737

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is definitely Homelink, my Sienna and Highlander are Homelink as well. According to the Homelink site, they changed the signal around 2011 and you have to buy what they call a "bridge" to make it work. So far, I'm pretty happy with my mod. I can activate my garage from twice as far as I could with the Homelink system.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but I didn't see any reference to this: Is your opener a rolling code opener? If so, you skipped a step. After your Homelink learns the frequency, you have to have the opener learn the Homelink. Ours has a button on the unit that hangs from the ceiling. This is fresh in my mind because I just added our Tahoe and our Suburban.

OP
OP
Danny3737

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but I didn't see any reference to this: Is your opener a rolling code opener? If so, you skipped a step. After your Homelink learns the frequency, you have to have the opener learn the Homelink. Ours has a button on the unit that hangs from the ceiling. This is fresh in my mind because I just added our Tahoe and our Suburban.

I tried the rolling code procedure, it only worked on my wife's Sienna. The newer openers are not capable with older Homelink systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts