Home built 4L60E beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a lot of parts to go! Yes more parts, banner kit , I recommend you do lot’s of studying! YouTube Percision transmission videos all Pertaining to 4L 60 E’s
I have taken lots of notes from the precision transmission guys :) Really like their videos. He just lays the secret build tips out there for all to know.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping my eyes pealed for deals on these parts. Slowly accumulating them. Curious about:

1. Corvette Servos (I think I'll go for one of them as apposed to Sonnax as theirs is SUPER expensive)

It appears there are MANY different ones out there? Which one do I order or are they all created equally?

2. The 5 pinion planetary

Which one here? I see LOTS of different ones on eBay (not much on Amazon). What brand is good? are they all about the same?

I'm finding lots of these parts I have to source off eBay? Amazon doesn't have a good inventory of them. Or where is the best place to order these things?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping my eyes pealed for deals on these parts. Slowly accumulating them. Curious about:

1. Corvette Servos (I think I'll go for one of them as apposed to Sonnax as theirs is SUPER expensive)

It appears there are MANY different ones out there? Which one do I order or are they all created equally?

2. The 5 pinion planetary

Which one here? I see LOTS of different ones on eBay (not much on Amazon). What brand is good? are they all about the same?

I'm finding lots of these parts I have to source off eBay? Amazon doesn't have a good inventory of them. Or where is the best place to order these things?
The company that I bought my trans from, Performabuilt, told me a couple months ago when they were building it that several of their suppliers closed production down for months because of Covid and aren’t shipping parts still. They said Sonnax won’t even give them a ship date period. It could have changed by now.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine build is getting near completion. Ironing out the kinks now. Wondering about ordering up the supplies to do this build. I think the easiest route I found is this "Monster in a box" linked below:

https://www.monstertransmission.com...ter-In-A-Box-1993-97_p_5242.html#.YJimiR_PwhM

There's a few parts, not entirely sure "high performance clutch kit" what exactly is that. I may have to call them up and look at it... I'm kind of wondering, even if I don't use all these parts, it maybe cheaper to order them together in this kit?

I also see this kit HERE from Sonnax. I tend to lean more towards their servos and shell although includes no clutches, electronics etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to dive into this transmission build. I think my transmission is on it's way out the door. It slips when output torque exceeds input (aka engine braking in gears 1 through 3). I have a separate thread about this, but think it's what's going on. I believe my overrun clutches are going out. Not too surprised, when tuning the 6.0L I revved to redline and let off quite a few times. Even in 2nd gear. It pulls like a freight train w/ the 6.0L up to 6k RPM. 3rd gear yet to be determined because I'm going too fast at that point haha

I need to figure out what would be a good torque converter. I think I'll start tearing down my spare transmission and seeing what went wrong with it as well as slowly rebuilding stuff for the swap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger at Vinci cams who built my camshaft said to get a 2400 to 2600 stall torque converter no larger than 10.5" outer shell diameter as the larger they get the less efficient they are. I am going to try to stick to the 2400 stall. Couple questions...

What brands are best? Or good enough? I see summit racing has a generic line which I've always been happy with... are they any good?

Second out of curiosity what is the stall of the factory torque converter? I see it's 12.5" but cannot figure out what the stall rating is... 1800 RPM?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started tearing down the extra 4L60e I bought to see what went wrong, what a I can reuse, and what I need to order. Hit a snag, sigh, seldom do these things give up without a fight.

The last bolt on bellhousing stripped immediately when I went to remive it. Tried welding head on it, tried cutting and hammering it out with screwdriver... tomorrow I have to go buy some of those screw in easyouts *sigh*

Unless you have a better idea to get it out...0cf5ba917f18305136c861bd844a6454.jpg39b33ceea8a5b31c40a966fc58ec215c.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see there are a lot of companies that custom build torque converters. Seems to be way to go, do you know which ones are good?