Holy Squat! Yukon XL Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLC2020

Reaction score
So, My new to me Yukon XL did it's first bit of towing last night. Did a 5hr round trip to pick up a Kubota tractor. total weight behind me was only about 4,000lbs. Man, this thing squats! Other than that, it towed great, I could barely tell there was anything behind me, but I'm looking to see what easy options there are to reduce the squat.

Has anyone used anything like this: https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...kOAzh-Et-mBfHkCgi38DZssELg3gHNlxoC5xQQAvD_BwE

I've put about 600 miles on the Yukon so far in my first 8 days of ownership. Super happy with my purchase so far. I've ordered a JLT catch can already and will be doing a full fluid change on it asap.

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, My new to me Yukon XL did it's first bit of towing last night. Did a 5hr round trip to pick up a Kubota tractor. total weight behind me was only about 4,000lbs. Man, this thing squats! Other than that, it towed great, I could barely tell there was anything behind me, but I'm looking to see what easy options there are to reduce the squat.

Has anyone used anything like this: https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...kOAzh-Et-mBfHkCgi38DZssELg3gHNlxoC5xQQAvD_BwE

I've put about 600 miles on the Yukon so far in my first 8 days of ownership. Super happy with my purchase so far. I've ordered a JLT catch can already and will be doing a full fluid change on it asap.
Lots of guys use bags in the springs like that. More comments from others to come.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^x2 on what @George B said......

Air bags are your best and most economical solution to the rear end sag.

Other folks on this Forum who use air bags will chime in on specific brand preferences.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What year, how many miles and which suspension option?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

First off, did you have the weight on the trailer properly distributed?

I have Air Lift brand of bags in mine. They're probably all the same, just different colors. I think this is the best option. You can maintain the ride quality when not towing and adjust for when you are. Or, keep a little pressure in them at all times if you find the rear to be too soft as-is. They don't require much pressure, so you could keep a small compressor on board to be prepared for an unexpected towing job or if there's no other compressor around. Plus, it'd be convenient to have a compressor on board for tire emergencies.

OP
OP
RLC2020

RLC2020

Reaction score
Weight was a little forward on the trailer because I had a brush hog behind the tractor, but it was so little weight that it shouldn't matter too much. Tractor and loader only weight about 2500lbs mower deck and brush hog probably another 450. I'm used to my Titan XD that I traded in that was rated for 12k+ towing and didn't squat an inch so I'm probably more sensitive to it than most would be. I don't tow long enough distance that I would need a WDH and other than my equipment trailer I tow a boat with I cant put a WDH on.

This truck does not have the max tow package which I should have waited to find one with. Can the factory brake controller be added to this truck plug and play? If not I'll go aftermarket, but I prefer factory look when I can.245202655_855134875195942_2334252954097405920_n.jpg

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight was a little forward on the trailer because I had a brush hog behind the tractor, but it was so little weight that it shouldn't matter too much. Tractor and loader only weight about 2500lbs mower deck and brush hog probably another 450. I'm used to my Titan XD that I traded in that was rated for 12k+ towing and didn't squat an inch so I'm probably more sensitive to it than most would be. I don't tow long enough distance that I would need a WDH and other than my equipment trailer I tow a boat with I cant put a WDH on.

This truck does not have the max tow package which I should have waited to find one with. Can the factory brake controller be added to this truck plug and play? If not I'll go aftermarket, but I prefer factory look when I can.View attachment 352956

Ah. Yeah, the bush hog gotcha on that one. Throw some bags in there and you'd be set.

Adding the factory-integrated brake controller is beyond me. My '08 has factory wiring for something to do with towing- either just power or for a brake controller. It's not connected to the power lug on the under-hood fuse center and just wrapped up and zip-tied outta the way. Left the factory like that. Perhaps there's an additional unused plug for a factory controller somewhere in the dash? I'd guess that activating it would be to install the controller, connect the wiring and quite possibly re-flash the BCM and/or PCM. I'd also guess yours would be the same. Do you have any relatively large unused wire(s) around your fuse center?

Last edited: